In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No Longer Available Pellet Stove for sale or trade for tools/equipment I need..

Discussion in 'Closed Ads' started by Gasifier, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

England's Stove Works
    Summers Heat
    Model - 55SHPAH
    Serial number 5156
    Man. Date: 05/12
    Purchased 10/08/13
    Have receipt, manual, service video/CD, and chimney goes with.
    Bought it on sale at Lowes and got another 10% off on stove. With taxes it came to $1471.46.
    I think insulated chimney kit was another $250 at least. So about $1720 total invested. Burned one season (13/14), and currently using it now.

Make me an offer. I'm going to move my back up cord wood stove to the camp for heat.

Also open to trades for a really nice professional grade chain saw and something that would be of equivalent value.

2. Gasifier

Gasifier

The first $800 offer gets the pellet stove and chimney kit and O.A. kit.
    1-1/2 seasons under its belt. Runs great, just not down there enough to keep it real clean the way they need to be kept. Going back to cord wood. Got lots of that on property. Also open to trades. Also have some pellets to go with if your interested in good softwood pellets.

3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

This is a good deal for $800. The venting being included makes it turn key!

cus_deluxe and raybonz like this.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

If I had the extra $$... sounds like it would keep the shop toasty.

raybonz and DexterDay like this.
  5. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Sounds like a real bargain to me!

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

Just want to bump this up so people can see it again. I also have between 1-1 1/2 tons of soft wood pellets that are a higher BTU grade pellet (they throw good heat). I can sell them to the buyer for half price. With the price of pellets now a days this whole package with pellets is going to save the buyer some serious dough. I will need to count the number of bags I have back at the camp for exact number. (If the buyer doesn't want the pellets I can burn them in my boiler.) Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

wildwest, MasterMech and raybonz like this.
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier

I just decided to and listed this on Craigslist today. It is still available. I can make someone here a great deal on the stove and pellets. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested.

Horkn, raybonz and wildwest like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

I'm running this past my parents now. They want to go from the lopi wood stove to pellet stove.

It'd have to go from NY to northern Wisconsin if they end up wanting it. So I'd have to try to figure out the best way to get it from one place to the other. Fastenal maybe? ABF? I'm guessing with pellets, it's be a skid or 2, huh?

Stinny likes this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier

I have 101 bags of pellets. I could shrink wrap them onto two pallets. But then you would be looking at three pallets with stove strapped to one. Or, I could just sell you the stove and burn the pellets in my gasification boiler a little at a time. I have no idea what it would cost to ship two tons of pellets and the stove. But I could load it all onto the truck for you if need be.

eatonpcat and raybonz like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

My parents are off to Kansas City now, but I'm having them check the specs, and mull it over.

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

They had the best price from Maine to WY in my instance.

Horkn and Stinny like this.
  12. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sounds good Horkn.

How old are your parents? I want to be up front with you and them about a pellet stove. The stoves do require a more thorough cleaning than a cord wood burner. And it is not as simple as taking the Ashes out of a drawer. It does require a person to get down on their knees and clean it out good. I want to make sure your parents get the stove they want and it is convenient for them.

And although the stoves are are fairly simple, I would understand as well if they decided to buy one on sale close by. That way if they had any issues they could get support right there.

If they don't mind cleaning it, or have a son who lives nearby to help them do it, then things would be fine.

I have not had any issues that I did not find out we're simple operator error or inexperience. LOL!:emb: She throws nice heat!:fire:

Horkn, raybonz, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  13. Stinny

Stinny

Fastenal would now be my first thought after getting that heavy winch out to wildwest and learning more about how they do shipping.

Horkn and wildwest like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. That thread had me thinking Fastenal was the way to go.

Stinny and wildwest like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

I really appreciate the up front words about a pellet stove. My parents are both 72. Dad's not able to do too much due to ALS, but I imagine he'd still clean the stove. Mom is very active though, cuts wood, splits it, brings it in. She grew up on a farm, so that part isn't an issue.

Could you use an ash vacuum to help clean it?

I just don't like seeing my mom haul splits in all the time for the lopi. There still is a wood boiler in the basement ( sound familiar?) that supplements the LP boiler with fan coils.

I think bringing a bag of pellets in on a dolly would be much easier than cord wood in the lopi upstairs. Cleaner too.

They are 3.5 hours north of where I live, so I can't go over every week. I do help them as much as I can though.

They got a local pellet stove store that gave them a quote for 3500 for a nice, but expensive model installed. I know that this stove would do the job admirably. It's a well insulated a frame, good windows, it doesn't take much to keep it warm. I've been at the cabin ( is really a house) in the middle of winter for snowmobiling and that endeavor would get the place nice and warm even when it was winterized.

Mom's asking me questions now that they are back home, about your stove, so I'm giving her the details.

I know even with freight here, this would be a good deal for them.

raybonz and Stinny like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We ended up with a pellet stove because of similar reasons. The pellet stove is definately easier for me. Buying pellets is more expensive than free or purchased firewood, but this is whats easiest for us now. I think the upkeep is easier too. If she is doing what you stated above, she can definately get pellets into the hopper be it scoop, or bucket, even get the bag close to the stove via her dolly. savemoney has some ingenious common sense methods to fill his hopper.

Gas mentioned the upkeep, which is true, but for my situation it's easier than wood. I think the rule of thumb is a deep cleaning for every one ton of pellets. Thats more managable for my situation than hauling an armful of splits several times per day and shoveling hot ashes for sure!

Deep clean every ton, and they can scrape the burn pot and empty the ashpan in between. Also double check your parents chimney pipe, this pellet stove may require different.

From what I understand pellet stoves do not get as hot to the touch as woodstoves, but rather blow the hot air around. That might be good for your parents, as well as you could stock pile bags close to the stove when you visit.
    Scrape the burn pot and empty the ashpan. Ash vac or shop vac for 1 ton deep cleanings, and sweep the pipe. The pellet heads introduced me to the leaf blower trick, oops, I mean technique, but we still use a a sweep. I replaced out metal bristled sweep with a poly bristled sweep that spins on a drill, so far its flyash only.

I vote a yes Horkn ,worth a try. They might not like it but they may LOVE it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

PS, I think it's advisable to store pellet pallets somewhere protected from rain and snow though I know you know that :)

Horkn likes this.
  18. Gasifier

Gasifier

Two things.

First. A great quality pellet makes all the difference. The pellets I have now would be a good deal financially for your parents, but I would not say they are a great quality pellet. Even if they have to pay more for them, a great quality pellet will be worth it. I have a hard time finding a great quality pellet near where I live.

Second. You or they can buy a decent quality Ash vacuum for about $100. I have one next to the pellet stove but will be keeping it for wood burning stove.

Did you find out how much shipping would cost for the stove? For all of it?

Horkn, wildwest and Stinny like this.
  19. savemoney

savemoney

I would like to chime in here. That is true for a lot of stove, and not so true for others. Voice of experience tells me that the most influential factor is the stove itself. High end stoves will burn any satisfactory pellet without issues. We have many pellet owners here that know their stove backwards and forwards. Most any stove will work if given the right combinations of cleaning and pellets used. I had a Napoleon, fussy stove. It had me well trained. Now I have a Harman. It gives more BTU's and is self adjusting. It dumps the ash out of the burn pot, and cleaning is a snap. I got lazy with this stove.

20. Gasifier

Gasifier

I like this reply Saves. I would like the best for his parents period. And would suggest researching a pellet furnace as well for them. I am not an experienced Pellet stove operator. If they can afford a high end stove or furnace that is simpler to operate/clean than this one than I would highly recommend that. Especially if they have a dealer close by who can support them with the stove. That piece of mind is priceless. Without a doubt! With a couple at 72 years of age I would want them to have the physically easiest job of heating the house. I bought this stove because of the budget I wanted to be in at the time. It's not too complicated, pretty simple really, but because we are not at the camp on a regular bases I found it to be more of a chore to clean that is not necessary. I am going to turn the water off in the camp and drain the lines and let it go cold for the coldest four months. And just heat it up with wood when we want to spend some time down there in the cooler/cold weather.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015