In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet storage bins, bunkers ect.

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by jtakeman, Oct 30, 2022.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I could use some idea's on pellet storage bins. Mainly design's or drawings to start with. TYI

I'll pin it to the top if it gets good! :D

Eric VW likes this.
  2. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I have some pallets on laying the ground, various places around the property close to the house.
    I stalk bags of pellets on to the pallets and cover with a canvas heavy tarp. I place a few bricks
    on top. I purchase the canvas tarps from www.ChicagoCanvas.com.

jtakeman likes this.
  3. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Just a heads up / FYI
    If you store Pellets on a pallet out in the open under wraps/tarp. Make sure the Tarp won't form a depression in the top of the stack. The water/ice can form a puddle there and leak/drip/weep down into your pellets.
    Worse yet....The birds like the puddle as a birdbath and will peck the bottom making a sieve.:hair:

DAMHIK :doh:
    ---Nailer---

4. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

I love the idea of hopper storage with a gravity dump valve.
    I have used this place for unusual industrial surplus items. They usually have lots of tanks/hoppers
    They are located in Rehoboth Mass. Near Providence RI.
    J Little Mercer Co.
    Used Process Equipment Dealer | J. Little Mercer Co. Inc.

Something like this 340 Gallon Cone bottomed tank would probably work. Just weld up a frame and install a gate valve.
    https://jlmercer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/5137.bmp
    contact them for pricing.

Its a great place to spend an afternoon industrial surplus shopping. Place is Huge.

Good Luck,
    ---Nailer---

PelletHound, MikeInMa and jtakeman like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

Definitely - place pieces of scrap lumber, or an old half-deflated basketball in the center so your final covering doesn't develop a pond. If you have lots of skids in a row, make sure you position dunnage so there are no low spots.

I would also caution that if you use a tarp as the outer layer, don't use a cheap, thin one - use a nice heavy duty tarp. Sure, more expensive, but will stay waterproof, won't get torn up in the wind (if you do a half decent job of securing it), and is reusable year after year.

jtakeman, ttdberg and Orson_Yancey like this.