In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pallet Wood Build Challenge

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Minnesota Marty, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Spent some great time today in the garage on shop organization and tool maintenance, Setting here having a nice Schell Brewing Company bottle of Firebrick and thinking and wondering, if there would be any interest in a FHC pallet wood build challenge. We got a lot of creative members that do alot with free stuff like pallets. I was contemplating maybe a category of what you could build with one pallet of standard size and maybe another category of what you can build with a unlimited sum of pallets ( like a shed, wood stack shelter, etc)
    Not sure if it needs to be firewood related but probably so. For now just putting it out there to see if there is any interest. Not sure if we need to exempt Pallet Pete or not (Lol)

Marty

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Sorry Pete, you're out!:p
    Maybe you can be a judge:whistle:
    ;)

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Maybe we should tag Pallet Pete so he can see this

4. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm in on this. I vote open competition, single pallet category, and multiple pallet category. No "pintrest"ing for ideas.

5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

Great idea! I will stay neutral :whistle: I have done sheds and even my 7.5 ft tall privacy fence so it can be done!

If love to see what others have done!!!!!

6. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Jon,
    At this point I have no idea what I am going to do, but it would be fun to give it a go.

7. leoht

leoht

18 months ago work upgraded there old lantec pallet stretch wrapper to a new machine built in the US.
    [​IMG]
    It came to us in 7 shipping containers, all the parts and conveyors were bolted to hardwood skids that were 7 1/2" wide and varying lengths. When I loaded them all on the big tandem and drove on the weigh bridge there was 2 tone of timber in it. I disassembled the skids over a few weeks and stowed all the timber in the shed I have of yet not built anything with it.
    [​IMG]
    I have been building my firewood storage racks and kindling boxes out of standard used pallets from work.
    [​IMG]
    I don't put any effort in to making them look good just as long as they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DNH

DNH

I'm out without Pinterest!!! My creative gene is nonfunctional or absent according to my wife if it involves anything to do with decorating or looking good. I'm still trying to unpack (3 years later) and get all my projects done so I have room to work.

B_Williams, blacksmith and fishingpol like this.
  9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:sherlock:
    :whistle:
    After two Smiley's worth of thinking, and a need to work some shop time back into my life, I say, "In."

10. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Very few ideas for building anything are truly "original". Most are compilations or modifications of something already built. Pinterest is just a starting point.

Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  11. fishingpol

fishingpol

Ok, scratch the no pintrest idea, it was sort of a half-jest minus the :p smiley. I'd like to see what everyone can make and have fun.

So are we going to set a deadline date for this? I still have no ideas yet.:whistle:

12. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

13. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

I am thinking we need some nice warm weather if someone wants to build something that is outside orientated. Frankly, I would be ready to build something outside until the middle of April/ first of May here in Minnesota. So, maybe Memorial Day or Fourth of July completion date? One of the ideas I have is an outside build so I would need some nice weather. This way it give everyone some time to get there "chit" together.
    Thoughts?

14. DNH

DNH

Well since the Pinterest is now okay :handshake: I guess I can play albeit poorly. I'm really looking forward to what some of our members can dream up! Since I'm on cord number 6-7 since 12/31 from Best neighbor ever! I'm too tired and have put off to much other work to make anything nice.

Here is today's build mostly pallet wood, scrounge stuff and leftovers around the house. Notice I scabed some 2x4's together and ripped a 1x8 in half for supports. Total cost was $0.00 this makes either 8 or 9 pallets and each one is different as I incorporate different styles and features to the pallet many of the ideas came from the thread Revamping my stacks

IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

15. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Backwoods Savage and blacksmith like this.
  17. scavenger

scavenger

I want to get in on this as I have stated prior I need to move my wood crib totally onto my property (it's all about inches) and this little challenge is ideal...someone please state the rules...are there categories? and yes we need at least till the 4th of July maybe later to complete (well some of ya'll have helpers)...and it's pallets only---not some premade contraption off CL---right?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Don't be a hater!!

19. scavenger

scavenger

a hater? you Ohio boys always want to cut corners....play by the rules!:p

eatonpcat likes this.
  20. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

I am working on some suggestions for categories which I hope to have posted here this weekend. Just too tired tonight to give it a sustained effort. I got a bid to do that is slightly more important.

Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.