In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

painting the ends of a log

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Joe P, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Hi Guys -

for those of you milling... do you paint the end of your logs to prevent checking? If so, what are you using?

thankee!!

Joe

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes. I use old latex. If you can afford it, the good stuff is called Anchorseal.

metalcuttr and mat60 like this.
  3. IonicTick

IonicTick

I was told to use anything Latex. So I went to the store and picked up a can of the cheapest miss mixed stuff they had and put the kids to work.
    paintinglogs.jpg

Mag Craft, Farmchuck, Bill2 and 2 others like this.
  4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have used old latex as well.
    I did graduate to anchor seal but neither one has really been long enough to compare apples to oranges.

Hope to cut into some sometime next week when I finish setting up the mill . It has been a slow process getting it up and running but it is getting close now.

5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

and you have quite the pile there.

You need to have a couple more kids to help you catch up !

6. IonicTick

IonicTick

Ha, no more kids for me! Snip Snip, knot, clamp, cauterize. Two was plenty!

They are great helpers for stuff like this though. Makes it pretty cool to do together.

What I really need is a sawmill. Have a few different people on standby. Probably not sawing anything until August (ish).

Mag Craft and Husky Man like this.
  7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Good that you are able to have them help out.
    Soon they will be grown and out on their own , enjoy the time while you can. The time flies and life is too short to miss out on time spent together.

8. Husky Man

Husky Man

Absolutely, Cherish every Minute, my Stepdaughter recently found her first home of her own, and was the last to leave the nest.
    It is Very different around the house knowing that Emmy and her American Bulldog Willow, aren’t just gone for the weekend. That day will sneak up on you, then smack you up side the head before you see it coming

It is Nice, not having to worry about Willow’s tail knocking over my Coffee Mug, on the Coffee Table, or Willow’s other end Magically making any Food on the same table “Disappear” but I do miss them both

Doug

LongShot and IonicTick like this.
  9. IonicTick

IonicTick

For sure fellas. I did firewood with my dad and grandpa. Now they do firewood with me and my dad. Amazing how that works.

10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I use anchorseal it does make a big difference in the log usually I cut a disc off the end of the log before cutting and the sealer really makes a difference in the end of the log I have found by using the anchor seal I can avoid the disc cutting on the fresher logs it keeps the end from getting dry and hard so the saw starts in the cut easier with untreated logs you have to take that first inch or two off or the blade will deflect in that hard wood in the beginning the anchorseal seems to work a little better than paint but paint is way better than nothing JB