In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Painting synthetic stocks

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Feb 8, 2018.

1. lukem

lukem

I have the itch to get a new gun but funds are a little tight right now. I figure I might be able to scratch that itch by changing up one of my current guns.

I have a Ruger American rim fire in .22LR that's 100% stock. I'm considering painting the black synthetic stock OD green so it matches its big brother (Ruger American Predator in .308).

From what I've read so far the best method is to wipe it down with acetone, lightly sand with 600 grit, and rattle can it with Krylon fusion, then top coat with satin clear.

I'm also thinking my OCD for everything matching needs to let up a little and FDE paint might be a nice option. Dunno.

I have an old 10/22 stock I can practice on. I replaced it with a gray one with the modular stock system.

Any tips or suggestions?

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Too much work, get a new gun. Seriously.

Chvymn99, lukem and stihl sawing like this.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Ok, 600 grit is too fine for an initial scuffing. 220 would be better, even 180. Once scuffed, you can go over it again with 280/320. Then clean it with acetone. Depends on how smooth you want it to be. Most of the flat camo spray paints will fill the small scratch lines. 2 base color coats, light sand (600 at this point), then high lights of different colors.
    Not sure you need the clear coat. Wear will help dull it, and easy touch-up at that point.
    If you want some grip/texture- 3M Rocker panel spray. Then sand off the points and paint. It works very well. I've done dozens of synthetic stocks with the 3M, it's durable stuff.
    Pretty simple process.

stihl sawing likes this.
  4. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Variety is the spice of life, do it.

5. lukem

lukem

Thanks. Will probably try it this weekend if I don't get called out to TX and the weather is good enough to paint outdoors.

I'm half tempted to try to dipping it.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  6. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Which stock have you decided on altering?

7. lukem

lukem

The stock for the bolt gun. I have to go to TX so my weekend is shot now.