In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Outdoor wood boiler condensation

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Heat550, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Heat550

Heat550

I'm in Minnesota lot of crazy weather and alot of rain this summer . Anyway Im getting boiler ready for another season and have noticed there alot more condensation in bottom of boiler this year to point I thought bladder was leaking took it out and all was good . And it's like oily dark black to yellow
    That be condonation and what ever else comes from sand in Heatmor . Have others notice alot of condensation this year ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

amateur cutter, Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I used to cover my vent pipe on the OWB for the summer but have neglected to do so for a few years now.

I put some drain oil in the bottom of the stove to coat the bare metal of the firebox and whatever rain makes it in through the stack floats on top of the oil.

As far as condensation, I think the drain oil prevents that.

The first year I used the drain oil trick, I thought the start up would be offensive....big smelly smoke cloud and all. But, there was nothing to worry about.

amateur cutter, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Heat550

Heat550

We had crazy rains here I might of had water blow in to boiler case also and run down inside . I mean like 4-6 inches in the last week or 2.

amateur cutter, Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  4. JustWood

JustWood Guest

I leave my door open. Helps even the inside/outside and water temp so it doesn't condensate . I think it creates a draft also and keeps rain water out of stack. Any time I pull the T cover off there's dry powder ash in there. Top of my stack is 17' otherwise I'd cover it

amateur cutter and Chaz like this.
  5. Heat550

Heat550

Well crazy amounts of rain here . And I have done this trick and it works also leave a pump run just it going thru a air exchanger without fan keeps water closer to current air temperature. But you'll see pump cost ya $10-20 a month on electric bill.

amateur cutter likes this.