In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Out with the old....

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Aug 2, 2022.

1. lukem

lukem

My 10 year old son (who is huge for is age) is ready for a "real" bow. Rather than buy him a nice new one, not knowing if he will stick with archery) I decided to trade up my 16 YO son to my old bow and hand his down to the 10 YO. That means dad gets a new rig.

The old bow had turbo cams and was fast, aggressive, and and downright fun to shoot laser beams and blow through just about anything. Every deer I shot was a complete pass through and stuck several inches into the ground.

I'm not getting any younger so I went a little tamer this time, although I don't think it is that much slower.

New on the left, old on the right.

PXL_20220802_160223478.jpg

2. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

a matthews fan I see. How is she shooting?

Horkn, eatonpcat and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

Hoyt, actually.

I only shot a few, but so far I like it. Hoping to get some time with it this evening if the weather cooperates.

Eckie, Horkn, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Did some shooting on the new setup last night. It shoots way better than I can. I shot one 4 shot group at 60 yards that was 4" and felt like I left a lot of meat on the bone to do better. My eyesight is probably the limiting factor on accuracy now.

I'm also surprised by how fast it shoots. On paper it is 16 FPS slower than my old one, but is no doubt faster shooting the same arrows. Once I got the sight housing zeroed for my top pin all the others were shooting high by 4"-6" and I had to tighten them up. Now I'm thinking about building a super heavy arrow for this season.

EODMSgt, Eckie, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  5. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

sorry for the mistake.... I bought the ultra 7 earlier this year. I love it.

Horkn, metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.
  6. lukem

lukem

I declined to shoot one of those because I knew if I did it would have come home with me.

Biddleman, eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  7. lukem

lukem

I have around 300 arrows down range and the new bow is an absolute tack driver. When I do my part, which isn't all that often, it will shoot 1" groups at 30 yards. I can usually make that happen 1 out of 4 times.... The rest are 2" groups.

PXL_20220812_010905873.jpg

Stinny, Boogeyman, MikeInMa and 10 others like this.
  8. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Very nice! I'm sure your boy will be thrilled with that as his first "real bow".

I recently upgraded to a newer model elite and just got it back today from my string guy. New set of custom strings/cables, leveled the new sight and a dozen new arrows. I had to jump to a heavier spine because the new bow is quite a bit faster than the old one. After getting it dialed in at 20yds I had to send a few at 60yds for sight tape purposes. I was happy with this group after my second round of 3 arrows @60yds

I still have the old synergy as a backup because it just shoots so dang smooth but this new ritual is pretty sweet.

20220814_201655.jpg FB_IMG_1660517970055.jpg 20220814_183951.jpg

Biddleman, eatonpcat, Stinny and 5 others like this.
  9. lukem

lukem

My 16YO shot this at 100 tonight.

PXL_20220815_000752376.MP.jpg

eatonpcat, Stinny, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  10. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

11. Biddleman

Biddleman

I tend to stay out of archery shops. :makeitrain":makeitrain"

Im do for a new bow, but holding off.
    I love shootimg compound BUT I will admit I will take my son's xbow out in late season or 2nd season, when the temps are pretty cold and Im heavy layered.

EODMSgt and eatonpcat like this.
  12. lukem

lukem

13. lukem

lukem

I have been shooting almost every night since I bought the new bow. It is so much nicer to have a bow that doesn't feel like it is set to "kill" all the time (pun intended). This one draws, holds, and shoots almost like a target bow compared to the old one. I was able to get rid of the stabilizer since it holds so good, but now that I fixed some form stuff I might put it back on there.

Even though the bow shoots great, I was shooting like absolute trash. For every good shot (felt like a good shot when it broke) I would have 2 or 3 bad ones. I got super frustrated which, as we all know, instantly makes things worse. I've since went back and refreshed all my reading/videos from the basics all the way up to some pretty nerdy stuff over the past 2 weeks and I'm shooting way, way better. No more shanks, yanks, and flyers.

I had to make the following changes:
    1. Ditched the bow wrist sling. Going from the old bow to the new bow it was too short and torqueing my shot. It may have always been like that. Dunno.
    2. Adjusted the length on my release to make it longer. My anchor was inconsistent (and probably always has been).
    3. Went from 30" draw to 30.5" draw. 5 years ago on the last bow we had to set up a longer D loop because the bow maxed and 30". This bow has a standard size D loop, and with my release being too short caused me to put a ton of face pressure on the string to get my peep lined up. Now the tip of my nose barely brushes the string and everything lines up perfect.

I went deep down the internet/youtube rabbit hole on this one, but it was worth it.

Now that I went down the rabbit hole I realized that I need to start building my own arrows. I know that I don't need to, but I need to.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  14. lukem

lukem

Made these today...hope to see how they fly tonight. Left helical offset on the Bitz jig.

PXL_20220830_183637521.MP.jpg

15. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Are the wraps reflective?

Eckie likes this.
  16. lukem

lukem

Not really. Not any more than the finish on my sight or quiver. Not totally flat, but not shiny either.

Eckie likes this.
  17. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

IF I ever build my own (not likely-ever) reflective wraps are nice so that they are easily found after a shot in the dark. Wish mine had them.
    How did your new arrows fly?

18. lukem

lukem

Dunno. Been too busy and now I have a work trip. Maybe Friday.

eatonpcat likes this.
  19. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I built these the other day. Easton Axis + Flex Fletch Silent Knight 3".
    PXL_20220830_133350668.jpg

Biddleman and eatonpcat like this.
  20. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice work, that is consistency!

mike bayerl likes this.