In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Out with the old....

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Aug 2, 2022.

1. lukem

lukem

My 10 year old son (who is huge for is age) is ready for a "real" bow. Rather than buy him a nice new one, not knowing if he will stick with archery) I decided to trade up my 16 YO son to my old bow and hand his down to the 10 YO. That means dad gets a new rig.

The old bow had turbo cams and was fast, aggressive, and and downright fun to shoot laser beams and blow through just about anything. Every deer I shot was a complete pass through and stuck several inches into the ground.

I'm not getting any younger so I went a little tamer this time, although I don't think it is that much slower.

New on the left, old on the right.

PXL_20220802_160223478.jpg

2. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

a matthews fan I see. How is she shooting?

Horkn, eatonpcat and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

Hoyt, actually.

I only shot a few, but so far I like it. Hoping to get some time with it this evening if the weather cooperates.

Eckie, Horkn, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Did some shooting on the new setup last night. It shoots way better than I can. I shot one 4 shot group at 60 yards that was 4" and felt like I left a lot of meat on the bone to do better. My eyesight is probably the limiting factor on accuracy now.

I'm also surprised by how fast it shoots. On paper it is 16 FPS slower than my old one, but is no doubt faster shooting the same arrows. Once I got the sight housing zeroed for my top pin all the others were shooting high by 4"-6" and I had to tighten them up. Now I'm thinking about building a super heavy arrow for this season.

Eckie, Horkn, Softwood and 3 others like this.
  5. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

sorry for the mistake.... I bought the ultra 7 earlier this year. I love it.

Horkn, metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.
  6. lukem

lukem

I declined to shoot one of those because I knew if I did it would have come home with me.

eatonpcat and Horkn like this.