In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Our family cat Mishief aka Missy

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Oakman69, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Oakman69

Oakman69

Resized_20190401_083410(1).jpeg Resized_20190310_121753(2).jpeg View attachment 277586 View attachment 277587 View attachment 277587 View attachment 277586 View attachment 277587 View attachment 277586 View attachment 277587 Resized_20201005_035717.jpeg Our family went thru a painful time about a week ago and we are still
    about it.
    About 20 years ago we had recieved our first family pet Christmas morning for our son Andy from our mother in law.
    She was just a 6 week old tortoise shell kitten and just full of energy playful as ever.
    We had her for such a long time and even tho she was very old she had relatively no issues and lived in our garage after she didn't like the 2 other kittens we rescued last December. I keep the garage heated and air-conditioned so she just slipped out the window that had a cat door I built for her to come and go as she pleased.
    She loved it outside and would always be out and about thru the years. She was a great cat.
    Well I was at work and got a call from my neighbor Rusty who lives behind me sayin he found her dead by my garage front door after finding his 2 little Boston terrier dogs by her.
    He said he didn't think they killed her because she was cold and asked me what I wanted him to do with the cat..
    He brought her And told my wife "who was obviously devastated and upset.
    I told rusty to put her in a bag n box and bring her back home. He told me he wasn't sure of what happened but kept saying his dogs didn't kill her
    Then said my other neighbor Dave might know .
    I cleaned her up and looked her over. She had been mauled. I didn't jump to conclusions and verified with my other neighbor.
    I spoke to Dave after looking her over and I got upset when he told me he saw his dogs kill her and he knew rusty knew they did because when rusty came for his one dog that didn't come to his calling Dave said he drove up in his golf cart and shrugged off when Dave said his dogs just killed that cat and it was violent.
    I went over to rustys and told him to be honest w me from this point on and we know it was his little dogs.
    He let them out his house wo leashes and they had began to roam into my yard from time but they never showed any aggression and were seemingly friendly but nicely told him to make sure they don't roam because id hate to see them as street pizza.
    He said ok.. well now they killed the cat.
    I wanted to settle it civilly and my son and I went
    I didn't call the police nor animal control because there is a good chance they will be put down or quarantine for some time. And didn't want to put them thru that especially his wife is very upset and apologized profusely.
    They are good neighbors and agreed to keep the dogs from wandering.

We buried her in the yard and built a rock garden around her.

RIP MISS.
    you'll be missed.

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I’m sorry for your loss. Pets become such a big part of our families.

3. bogieb

bogieb

Condolences on your loss. It must be especially hard when it is a situation like that.

4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Sorry To hear that... RIP Missy...

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sad day Oakman69 , sorry for your family's loss!! Looks like you are sending Missy out in style (RIP)

Chvymn99, mat60, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  6. Midwinter

Midwinter

Sorry you had to lose Missy that way. Poor thing.
    No loose dogs outside of their owner's yard, period. Make sure you neighbor knows that next time, you will call animal control.

7. J bird

J bird

Man that’s so hard. Pets are family members. My family is praying for yours.

Chvymn99, mat60, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sorry guys...sounds like a great cat...and it really stinks that your neighbor isn't man enough to admit what happened. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  9. Oakman69

Oakman69

10. Oakman69

Oakman69

Thanks much I hear you. I felt the same way amd our son wanted to haul off and give him a piece of his mind but saw a good opportunity for him to experience a good lesson in civility and a good way to be positively constructive toward a bad situation .. so we got the facts and figured it out. He decided to forgive rusty.. me too.

11. Oakman69

Oakman69

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the condolences. Wife still pizzed tho.

12. billb3

billb3

Terriers can be terrors.
    One of my clients had a problem with one of his and a neighbor's cat. Nicest, calmest terrier I ever met, but the guy had no small animals in his yard.
    Supposedly breeding instinct.
    I've taken my nephew's yorkies when he has gone on vacation and outside they just had to, had to be on a leash. If they saw a squirrel they'd get super excited, but neither of them are street smart at all.

Really nice little casket.

Midwinter, Chvymn99, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  13. Locust Post

Locust Post

Sorry for your loss. Better to forgive as you did, because nothing would bring her back.

14. M2theB

M2theB

Sorry for your loss.
    And I agree with Locust Post , the way you handled it sets an example to follow.
    Thanks

15. mat60

mat60

Very sorry.

Midwinter, brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  16. fishingpol

fishingpol

Sorry to hear this. We had a calico also, and she was a great cat. Still miss her.

Good on you for taking the high road and setting an example.

Midwinter, brenndatomu and mat60 like this.