In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oregon 511A , 511AX VS Stihl USG

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by pantelis, Apr 23, 2015.

1. pantelis

pantelis

upload_2015-4-23_19-12-2.jpeg upload_2015-4-23_19-12-26.jpeg upload_2015-4-23_19-14-9.jpeg

I am for buy a grinder and i like to listen some opinions. wich of theese will give the best grinding results and why.

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Grinding results are entirely dependent upon the operator. The machine is only as good as the guy pulling the handle.

That said, a basic 511 is a fantastic machine. You can get great results from it, no problem. And you can buy two of them for what one USG costs. The USG offers other sharpening attachments and the foot operated chain clamp. But unless time is money for you, I think the plain 511 is the best buy for you.

3. pantelis

pantelis

Can you put grinding disks from usg to 511A ? i have listen that the oregon pink disks burn the chain

4. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Going to say no to that last. Hole on usg smaller.

You couldnt give me 4 oregon for my usg, after owning usg.

davidwyby and pantelis like this.
  5. pantelis

pantelis

I am more for usg even if is a double price the oregons seems to me like toys than like machines also i have listen that the oregons dont give the same results for the right or left teeths .

6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have the Oregon 511A and I use a CBN diamond wheel on it. I like the Oregon because of the tilting chain vise. It will let me get the hook I want on the cutter. The diamond wheel never needs dressed and does not load up and get dirty. For me a nice combination.

Moparmyway and mdavlee like this.
  7. pantelis

pantelis

left - right teeths the same ?

8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I own a USG and even its not bang on perfect going from left to right. Plenty close, and the chains always cut straight but if you get out the calipers, then you can find small variations.

If the money doesn't bother you, then the USG is hands down the best new grinder you can purchase.

pantelis likes this.
  9. pantelis

pantelis

Thanks friend , i want it for pro use so i must buy something that give me the best results in the fastest time , tomorow i will speak with my dealer

10. Warped5

Warped5

MasterMech, Mag Craft and pantelis like this.
  11. pantelis

pantelis

12. Warped5

Warped5

You'll have to check the specs on the wheels. I got mine from Edge & Engine for my 511AX.

Mag Craft and pantelis like this.
  13. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

The angles are they same but I always adjust for the cutter length when going from left to right cutters. It is not a big deal for me. I have a Simington grinder for square grinding and I always adjust for cutter length when going from left to right on it also.

pantelis likes this.
  14. pantelis

pantelis

I will do for sure theese diamond disks are very good as i have listen

15. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

USG also has that built into slide that puts that 0-??degree. I use 10degree.

pantelis and Mag Craft like this.
  16. pantelis

pantelis

Thanks friend

17. pantelis

pantelis

The most importand for me is how accurate is the degrees of the machine , maybe tell you 30 and its not, so i try to find the most accurate, and a cheapy 30 euros grinder tell you 30 degrees but the final result is ........................

18. w8ye

w8ye

I have a early model 511A with no light.
    [​IMG]

The indicated angles are spot on if you don't tilt the vice for the 10 degree. The 10 degree itself is spot on but to tilt the vice throws to top plate angle off a little bit so you have to angle the vice a little more or less to be exactly at 30 degrees for the top plate if you tilt the vice on chisel chain.

With the earlier Oregon - Tecomec style grinders . . . The 60 degree tilt of the head has two scales. One on the front and one on the back. The one on the back is worthless.

The angles on USG are complement angles of the ones on a Oregon or Tecomec style grinder which causes confusion in forum posts.

I've been around cut4fun's USG grinder enough to know that it is very much like my Oregon 511A except the vice slides in and out instead of tilting.

The third version of the Oregon 511AX has a vice that also slides in and out like a USG instead of tilting.

The new Oregon 520 grinder - the vice will slide in and out for the 10 degree function on chisel chain.

In the woods, It is hard to tell any difference on your chisel chain if you ground the top plate at the 10 degree tilt or zero or if your top angle is 28 or 32 degrees rather than 30 degrees?

Many chainsaw dealers grind all chains at 30-60-0 with no tilt on the chisel chains.

All you perfectionist must know that The teeth on a out of the box new Oregon or Stihl chain will likely vary by .020" in tooth length and your best efforts on your new grinder will likely vary in top tooth length by .010".

Perfectionist - Try it for yourself? Get a angle finder and check your work for accuracy? Measure the length of your cutters?

This angle finder is good enough and is common and cheap . . .

[​IMG]

If not a perfectionist . . .
    If you don't have a digital caliper, use a the jaws of an adjustable Crescent wrench?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Mag Craft, Cut4fun, pantelis and 2 others like this.
  19. w8ye

w8ye

dgeesaman, Cut4fun and Warped5 like this.
  20. pantelis

pantelis

Thank you friend the stihl dealer ask 550 euros for the usg and the oregon dealer 400 euros for the 511 A

Cut4fun likes this.