In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ordered the tune up kit for my 30NC

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by blacksmithden, Jul 20, 2018.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

For the 2 ceramic boards, a new door gasket and a new glass gasket, Englander got me for (iirc) $159.99 plus shipping to Canada. Convert the currency to Cdn pesos....add on 5% tax......$9.99 service fee from Canada post.....errrrr....carry the 1.....damm !!! Meh....whatever. It'll fit, and Ill have it on hand when I do finally split a board or rip out a seal. I only bought it last fall, so 1 full season of burning on it. Im hoping to get at least this year out of it before something lets go.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. papadave

papadave

If you're careful taking out the boards (simple job) to clean the flue, they'll last a few years.

Chvymn99, wildwest, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  3. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I just received the door gasket and the glass gasket for my 13NC. Just need to make time to do it. My fiber board looks fine after 6 burning seasons............

Chvymn99, wildwest, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  4. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

My problem isnt normal wear. Im one of those hammer handed guys who is constantly banging them as I try to load the stove quickly so as to minimize any smoke release. Her highness, Mrs BSD, has a super hero's sense of smell. I dread the 'Its smokey in here !!!' call from upstairs. Lol.

moresnow, Chvymn99, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Look for a draft inducer, BDF swears by them!! He is an engineer type.. Solve problem, gives you more time to re load safely.. And keeps wife ummm:D so a win win..

6. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

UPDATE:

What a "pain in the dupa" getting the old gasket cement/silicone out of the groove on the door!!!

I used a wire wheel in my cordless drill; and it still took a while to clean it all off!!!

The window gasket was not a problem at all..................just took my time with the bolts..............a lot of back and forth on them so as not to strip them.

7. papadave

papadave

Yeah, the door gasket can be a pain, but it's worth the aggravation.

brenndatomu and wildwest like this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam

The factory did a total crap job on the glass gasket. I wish I could just remove and reinstall it correctly.

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

They managed to delete a number from the middle of my address on the shipping lable, which put my package completely on the other side of the city. Fortunately, the guy who got it was honest enough to call my number which they put on the lable. I wasnt too impressed having to drive for 45 minutes to get it, but mistakes happen I guess.

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Splain please!!

11. billb3

billb3

I hafta tack my door gasket back on the top horizontal .
    I'm not seeing any glue/cement to dig out at all. Not on the iron and not on the rope. Kinda hoping that's why it started falling off and just a couple small dabs of cement will have it back in place until it actually wears out.

papadave and Canadian border VT like this.
  12. papadave

papadave

The glass gasket for the 30 has adhesive on the back with a pull off tape. Pretty easy to use, but could be a bit wider.

13. Highbeam

Highbeam

It’s not centered on the glass. Too much of the gasket is pulled towards the firebox to the point that it is barely pinched between the glass and the door. The factory guy was either careless or very worried about glass gasket being visible from the front. The gasket is long enough.

I run this nc30 hot so a little leakage is okay but I still would prefer the gasket to set right so that the glass is evenly “squeezed”.