In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ordered a new splitting maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by firecracker_77, Mar 16, 2014.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Been working ridiculous hours since I'm a seasonal worker...

Thought I'd treat myself to a new splitting maul. I figure a good axe is like a nice german kitchen knife. Buy it once... I've had the $30 specials from the big box stores. Not all that great in the end.

I will post a review of the Granfors Bruks splitting maul once it arrives and I have a chance to try it out.
    Anyone know how to sharpen these to keep them pristine? I figure it's like a chain...needs attention to function correctly.

The only concern I have is the 5.5lb head. I like a heavier maul. Maybe the design will make up for the lack of weight.

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Ooo your gonna like it FC! The one I used worked very very well and just felt right in my hands. My buddy sharpened it before every use with a diamond hand file. I want one but the splitter stops me because the axe would hang more than be used. Still.....

3. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Anything by GB is really nice! I look at that tool as something to be able to pass on from generation to generation.

I know there is a lot of stuff on Youtube about sharpening GB stuff. I have my eye on their small forest axe for years.

As far as the weight goes, I think that's fine at 5.5lbs, heck my Fiskars is less than that.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  4. mdavlee

mdavlee

I want to try one of the Husky splitting axes myself. I keep forgetting to order one when I get other stuff. I would like a GB but not sure I'll spend that much on one.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I figure I would try it. If it's a good tool, then I'll recommend it. If it's overblown and not worth the dough, then I'll learn a lesson. But it will be nice to have a handmade tool either way. I appreciate stuff like that.

Got Wood?, AmarilloSlim and mdavlee like this.
  6. mdavlee

mdavlee

I have a fiskars and 12lb maul. I want a 6-7 lb splitting axe to go along with it.

splitoak likes this.
  7. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

12 lb is heavy. I've never swung anything like that. As long as it's sharp, that should have a lot of force. I guess it depends on how fast you can swing it. Force = mass X acceleration from what I remember from high school physics.

8. thistle

thistle

Don't use it more than a few times yearly now,but my late 70's original patent Sotz 15lb monster maul (reinforced with 1/4" wall galvanized pipe handle adding to the mass) NEVER got stuck in any wood.Period.Cant say that about my Fiskars X25,27 or most other axes/wedges in my arsenal.Even the normally excellent 3 German,Austrian & Swedish twisted steel wedges have almost gotten buried in some huge gnarly Silver Maple,when I forgot to use a pair instead of a single wedge...:emb:

Used it all the time until spring 2011.Getting too old to use it all the time now,but it still has a limited place.Close to 20% of all the wood I get the X27 just bounces off of.Until I bust 'em open with the sledge/wedges or quarter 'em with one of the big saws.

Then it works great. :axe::thumbs:

Attached Files:

9. fishingpol

fishingpol

Nice splurge there firecracker. Those are lookers for sure. I don't think too many folks put the coin into one splitting axe but if I did it would be one of those. I have not seen many reviews on them so I look forward to how you like it.

I just saw a sharpening stone that they sell and it is fitted into a round case. One side is 180x and the other 600x.

10. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I need a sharpening stone...that will be something to research. My Lowes axe would benefit from a good sharpening.

I like buying good quality stuff when you can. Buy it once...have it for life.

AmarilloSlim and jetjr like this.
  11. Stinny

Stinny

"only concern I have is the 5.5lb head. I like a heavier maul" … I'd have to use a splitter's log lift to use it… wait… what?

12. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Just got done outside with my 8 lb maul. It may need a sharpening. When I get a file and the new maul, I'm going to do a video to compare. Wish I had a Fiskars for the review. I know those are crowd favorites.

Got Wood? and mdavlee like this.
  13. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Hey, FC, you got the best of the best with the GB. Enjoy it!

mdavlee likes this.
  14. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Arrived today. Initial impressions were...razor sharp, good feel, handle had some imperfections.

Split some wood with it....very nice indeed! I will be splitting a lot more by hand from now on.

Got Wood?, mdavlee and NortheastAl like this.
  15. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I'm digging the protective metal collar around the handle. I always overstrike and tear that area up.

NortheastAl likes this.
  16. jetjr

jetjr

PHOTO_20140320_140924.jpg Glad to hear you like it. Those imperfections just add to character. I would recommend a 12" double cutbastard file for when you really need to remove somes burrs.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    cory@owen and mdavlee like this.
  17. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

18. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I'm tempted to buy a Fiskars to compare them. Maybe I'll bring it to the FHC gathering and we can film a review against others' splitting equipment. Hint, hint!!!

Chvymn99 and mdavlee like this.
  19. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Very nice! It may or may not split wood better than the next maul/axe, but it's sure nice to own a high quality tool. :)

AmarilloSlim likes this.
  20. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Thistle, I have used a Sotz for more than 30 years. There was a guy selling some NOS lighter ones a while back but I could not justify the $100 price tag.