In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Optimizing a Craftsman while saving for a "real" saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by HighCountry, Jan 26, 2016.

1. HighCountry

HighCountry

Being relatively new, I felt it was my duty to scour previous threads before asking a question. I did not find any threads that fully satisfied my question, so I apologize if the answers are out there already. I have owned a 42cc 18" Craftsman for a while, as I never had any real work to do with a chainsaw......until now. While I am saving for a better primary saw, I thought that I would get the most out of my current saw and keep it is a secondary. I have not replaced any of the stock parts yet.

Here are my initial thoughts:
    New bar (even though it is already an Oregon)
    Better chain (original, as far as I can tell, is an Oregon S62 safety chain)
    Bucking spikes (if it can even take some, or if they are worth it)

Any, and all help is appreciated.

2. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Welcome to the club! Pretty sure I have seen spikes for them for 10ish on ebay. Is the bar shot? If it isn't I'd say run it. New chain for sure. And keep it sharp. I have a friend who cut for quite awhile with a 40cc class saw before he could afford a 60cc saw. If it was me I would do the bare minimum so as to save more money for a better saw.

3. HighCountry

HighCountry

I had read that spikes were not super helpful for bucking, but I have never used them and they seem like they would be helpful controlling the wood. The bar is still in pretty good shape, but I was concerned that if I wanted to upgrade to a better chain, I would have to change the bar, as well. I completely agree with not going overboard, or putting too much money into it, but I want to make it as good as it can get for the interim. Thanks for the advice and welcome!

Screwloose, Shawn Curry and Horkn like this.
  4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

No problem. Spikes probably arent absolutely necessary either. You don't need to upgrade the bar just to put new chain on it. If its s62 it's 3/8th low profile chain in .050 gage. The manual should tell you what bar and chain it is. As long as the number of drive links and and gage match up you can put about anything on it.

5. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

We're pretty friendly around here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most everyone is happy to help out.

6. Oldman47

Oldman47

I can say for sure that I have bucking spikes on my Husky 555 AT and have never even engaged them in the wood. When I am bucking with a sharp chain the saw pulls itself through the wood without me using the mechanical advantage of bucking spikes to force the chain through. When I am felling I find it easier to control the depth of a cut and how quickly it moves through a trunk to make a face cut or a back cut when I just ignore those spikes. As a kid I watched my grandfather use the heck out of the spikes on his saws but now I suspect he was compensating for not having a sharp chain.

Screwloose, bang, Shawn Curry and 3 others like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Bucking spikes are useful as it's the only time that the weight of the saw won't be on your arms.

I use my spikes all the time on my stihl. I'll use them to help me out if my chain is dull as well. ;)

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Welcome, HighCountry. Great first post question!:thumbs:
    Now, even though it's a Craftsman chainsaw(nothing wrong with that BTW) maybe we....could.....see....it?:binoculars:
    Surely if you read ahead to locate some saw info, you came across the quintessential saying, "Pics or it didn't happen?"
    Anyway, you've got a good start going here.... More folks will chime in soon enough:saw:

9. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

While your snapin pix of the saw get one of the chain. Might be it just needs a good sharpening. It is nice to have a spare though.

10. Horkn

Horkn

My buddy that has a ms460 big boy stihl has a craftsman 42cc as a backup. That was his saw until he got the 78cc stihl.

I ran that craftsman last year a little. With a sharp chain, it worked pretty well.

11. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

And that's why I have Popeye forearms, and Horkn does not.:rofl: :lol:

12. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I would leave it stock myself (to save for the next saw), unless you just have to tinker. The original chain might not be anything special, but sharpen it, and save it for some ugly cutting jobs.

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    Ya sure it's not for all the spinach eatin'?:rofl: :lol:

Horkn, saskwoodburner and Barcroftb like this.
  14. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I didn't get my trucker body by eating spinach n salad!

clemsonfor, Oldman47, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:rofl: :lol:
    And for his trucker body, saskwoodburner is hereby considered a contender for the coveted 2016 "Feed Thong" Award!
    :thumbs:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :whistle:

Sorry HighCountry, you may well have noticed the occasional :Yar: is always afoot, and I just stepped in it. My bad.
    Go Team Craftsman chainsaw! See, I just fixed it.:picard:

clemsonfor, HighCountry and Horkn like this.
  16. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I apologize as well for thread drift.

clemsonfor and Horkn like this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

I've got some of that going on too. Those heavy rounds don't move themselves.:p I am a big boy too, and I eat my Wheaties. But I put sugar on them, and I'm a desk jockey.

:thumbs:

I'm also a firm believer in the work smarter, not harder mentality.:D

papadave and Eric VW like this.
  18. Horkn

Horkn

To really get this thread back on it's rails, just make sure your chain is sharp, and save up for a better saw. :)

bang, clemsonfor, HighCountry and 3 others like this.
  19. dougand3

dougand3

I've had multiple 42cc Poulans - don't sell them short. You need a yellow/pro chain and they cut WAY better. Oregon 91VXL062G is a good one.
    The red Craftsman is the only saw I've ever bought new - 1994. Probably bucked 30 cords. Minimal maintenance has been required. If comfortable with it - I'd open muffler a bit and tune richer.

Poulan Craftsman Poulan 42cc.jpg

Felter, bang, Fishnuts2 and 8 others like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

New member Ken has a Craftsman listed in his signature....
    What say you, Mr. Ken?
    :)

Horkn likes this.