In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Opinions on this conveyor

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by wishlist, Dec 14, 2019.

1. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Looking for a little help/opinions .
    I’m in need of a conveyor and have been looking non stop but they seem hard to find .
    This one was recently posted for sale and I went to look at it . It’s not in bad shape , electric , 24 ft long , $600, could use a little tlc but i it works as is . Loud as heck tho and I’m 1/2 deaf .

My concern is the width of the conveyor. It’s only 8” at the flat part . Seems like with my out feed table on the splitter the wood would need to be “ inline “ perfectly to go up the conveyor. The sides form an angled V and I cut lengths of wood 24” for the evaporator. Just seems like the wood would pile up and I’m back to square one ?

Attached Files:

2. ironpony

ironpony

I am leaning towards the cuts will fall into alignment as the conveyor passes them but if they don't I don't see how you could change it.

3. tamarack

tamarack

I don't have any experience with firewood processors, but I worked in a sawmill for 15 years. If your splits are 24 inches long and the conveyor belt is 8 inches wide that's not ideal. You would have to fabricate something to keep the splits from turning sideways. Post some pictures FHC will help.

4. wishlist

wishlist Guest

I’m gonna pass on that conveyor . I have seen some belt conveyors and this one is a possibility? Would require some work to make it usable for firewood tho . Price is right at $500 obo.

Attached Files:

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Bob, that first conveyor would work fine. walt bought one last year and we used it at the gtg in October. It worked just fine. I was a bit hesitant at first because of the width but it caused no problems whatsoever. I thought only the bale conveyors would work and not these that were used for wheat, oats and beans as they were too narrow. But, it worked very well.

The only thing is though, that one you pictures is priced way, way too high. Hardly anyone uses those anymore so you should be able to get one really low priced.

The belt should work well.

6. Backwoods Savage

7. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Thanks Dennis for your never ending wisdom . I really need something with the log splitter . It’s just a bottle neck when your splitting with the 4 way making smaller pieces . The conveyor should be like having another person .
    My thinking was to shoot the conveyor into one of the windows on the round barn .

8. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Picked this belt conveyor up today from a Kmart that was closing , $200 ! Should work perfect after a few simple mods . It also has a reverse switch , don’t know I’ll ever need to run it backwards tho .

Attached Files:

9. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

I got one of those same conveyors from a Kmart as well. I wanted more than just a standard conveyor so I gave it some options

[​IMG]

Adjustable level flat table

[​IMG]

Normal adjustable conveyor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sliding offset axle so you can load/unload from the side of a truck or trailer.

[​IMG]

Wheels can pivot 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

This is so you can move the conveyor sideways or in an arc if you are piling wood up.

[​IMG]

Put a 3/4" square drive on the wheel so you can move it easily with a 3/4" drive ratchet.

Here is a link to how everything was made.

conveyor

mnguns, imwiley1, Barcroftb and 11 others like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Good find wishlist, that should treat you right.

Nice mods to the conveyor Kevin!

11. Backwoods Savage

That sounds like a winner!

12. Backwoods Savage

Great find! Just let it be known that the reverse gear is for those blocks that know how they were split and want to go back so they can be split right; vertically.

13. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Oh jeez Dennis , I figured by now you’d left the vertical splitting waffle butt dark side and join us normal horizontal splitters club ?

14. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Removed a few things on the conveyor today . Stands , side rails , ect....
    Set it up for a test run to see what I’ll need for sides and a chute coming off the splitter . Split 2 buckets of ash and was very happy . As it sits now it works fine , some splits would fall off but it won’t take much to stop that . I have access to a old grain conveyor landing gear that could be used but my thought is why take up the extra space when I store it in the pole barn . I’ll weld up some brackets and mount them to the 6x6’s and store the conveyor up high .

Attached Files:

Felter, imwiley1, Barcroftb and 5 others like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Bob, while I was using the conveyor at Walt's I had also thought perhaps one with the landing gear might be okay but quickly changed my mind. I'd go without one for sure.

Tell me about the ballast you have on the tractor.

16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

That is a sweet setup...Nice equipment!

17. AJtree88

AJtree88

Conveyors, like pictured in the first post, work fine doing firewood. They just tend to be shorter than traditional hay bale conveyors.

Belt conveyors are nice, but they can be worthless when it’s cold and you have it raised up high. Pieces just slide back down in my experience.

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Your design and implementation never cease to amaze, Kevin in Ohio :salute:

Felter, Barcroftb, wishlist and 3 others like this.
  19. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Stay tuned.....

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Oh Snap! :eek:
    :handshake: