In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Old Patio wood stove?

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by mrfancyplants, May 15, 2020.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

My sister is moving into a a new house that has an old wood stove in the shed (along with a newer one installed). They are going to give me the old one. I was thinking it could be nice to install on the back patio as a less Smokey heat source for winter bbq-ing, etc.
    I’ll post some more photos, but is this doable? Any gotchas to look out for?

upload_2020-5-15_9-1-47.png

2. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Any tips for setting this up for the weather? Can I just spray it with some stove paint and hope for the best. Do I have to clean it real well to get the paint to stick in the rust. Could I paint, fire it and paint it again to cover where the paint doesn’t stick? Or use a pressure washer, let it dry and then paint? Or pressure wash, fire and then paint?

I know a lot of options and I don’t really know what I am doing. I’d be happy if I could get a few years of use outside.