In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★☆☆☆ Old Dominion Wood Pellets (Review)

Discussion in 'Pellet Fuels' started by slvrblkk, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Old Dominion Wood Pellets results: FINAL RESULTS

Temp Average – 260-360 (new thermocouple on door, cannot compare with previous reviews)

Ash Volume – 24 ounces

Ash Weight – 2.60 ounces

Ash Percentage - .41%

Fines In Bag – one cup (4.3 ounces)

Pellet Length Avg. – 1/4” – 1.0”

Bag Weight – 40.2 lbs. (0 oz. left in hopper)

Burn time – 20 hours (approx.)

NOTES:
    Purchased at Lowe’s
    $239 a ton
    Lots of coarse fines

I saw on the bag that these were a blend but I didn't realize the blend consisted of wood and corn (*sarcasm*). The pellets ranged from very coarse fines up to and inch and a half and had somewhat of a softwood smell. I saw a lot of bits and pieces which also included pieces of corn that were loose and also blended into the pellets. Ash was coarse and very dark grey and volume wise there was lots of it. I had a smaller ash cake/clinker in my burn pot. Despite running mostly on low, the glass stayed fairly clean.

All in all these burned ok. I ran the stove mainly on low but happen to have a 5 hour power outage during the test. I busted out the genny and continued on. I personally would never buy these, other than to test, unless they were all I could get. They list on the bags "Ultra Premium" and "Ultra Low Ash".....definitely not in my book. I would rate these at 2.5 stars.

Disclaimer: as with everything....YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY....the review is just my opinion of them

IMAG0423.jpg IMAG0425.jpg IMAG0424.jpg IMAG0420.jpg IMAG0426.jpg IMAG0428.jpg IMAG0430.jpg IMAG0432.jpg

2. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Whoa, you weren't kidding about the corn. Never seen that before. As always, another great review, thanks.

will711 and slvrblkk like this.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I didn't like them either. I drove a long way to buy these and they were below average IMO.

Great review!

will711 and slvrblkk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.