In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Official yard cart/ utility trailer thread

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jun 8, 2015.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I've literally spent the day looking for a yard cart to pull behind an ATV.
    Most of what I've found seemed over priced and/or the reviews were not great.

So here is what I was hoping to do...
    Find a good trailer at a reasonable price
    that's sturdy, has larger tires and is made to last,
    (I'm afraid the lasting part is the hardest to find.)

What kind of trailers are you using?
    What are their strong points?
    What are their weak points?
    Does the dump mechanism (if equipped)work as advertised?
    Single or dual axle?

Pictures and prices if possible would be great

( Should I build my own?)

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I have the John Deere 10p dump cart (came with my lawn tractor). It's very strong. Wife and I have beaten it up pretty good hauling wet wood and boulders, etc. It's $250 at the Home Depot. I've seen the same cart in different colors/labels at other big box stores, probably a few dollars less. Overall, I'm satisfied with the price and performance. Here it is loaded with saturated oak running around in the woods..
    [​IMG]

3. Stinny

Stinny

Here's my 4'x5' dump trailer I built. I have beat this thing perty good. No springs but the axle and wheels are road rated so plenty rugged. It's rigged for hydraulics (not installed yet :whistle:) and the rear gate opens like a dump truck's (hinged at the top) I started building it in 2002 and I'll prolly get to the hydraulics soon... don't wanna hurry these things... :emb::D

Today, I'd probably buy one rather than weld one. Used to be more fun than it is today.

100_0018.JPG

4. bocefus78

bocefus78

I use the 200$ cart from tsc. After 3 years of abuse, I sent it to a welder for $50. It's now 10x stronger than a new one.

The dump works fine as long as you can lift it...keep that in mind when loading, and it's gtg.

I've had loads so heavy in it that the 4x4 atv couldn't get it up the hill so I had to offload some wood.

Attached Files:

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

For repairs? Or just some mods?

6. papadave

papadave

I've got the bigger brother (17 cu. ft.) to Mike's, made by Brinly (at least it looks identical). Paid $300 for it probably over 5 years ago, and use it whenever hauling firewood. Overloaded it many times.
    I use it around the yard for other stuff too.
    No issues, but the dump feature is way over rated IMO.
    Mine doesn't have these cool stickers on it......................but I did bolt on a ball hitch deal. I didn't like the little pin thing, was a PITA.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinly-H...w-Behind-Poly-Utility-Cart-PCT-17BH/100588135

bear 1998, savemoney, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  7. bocefus78

bocefus78

A little of both. The gate was loose from some broken welds. Reason they broke is because it only had about half of the welds needed to make it right from the get go. No steel was added, just welded up places that tsc didnt.

8. Tiewire

Tiewire

IMG_0427.JPG

Old U-Haul trailer from 1958. Given to me for free. The best price I know of.

Attached Files:

Camber, bear 1998, tamarack and 20 others like this.
  9. Will C

Will C

I have used a 4'x8' trailer that was designed for highway use. It is one the box stores sell- it is made to fold up for storage. I bought it for $150 over 20 years ago-put a 3/4" plywood floor on it and added 16" pressure treated sides. Used as a road trailer for my ATV for several years, then retired it for use aroud the house.
    It wouldn't be a great choice for going in the woods, but the size of it works great for moving brush, prunings,etc.

Will

10. jetjr

jetjr

Would one of the harbor freight road trailers work. Their pretty cheap and you can add whatever deck you want.

11. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Winner! That's an awesome cart you built! I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Some day I'll get the 17p (JD or any other brand), whenever I can get a super deal. For now, I'm stuck with the 10 p. Thankfully, with just 16 acres, I'm not moving firewood very far, so the increased number of trips, 10p vs. 17p, is not killing me so far...

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm gonna check this out today^^^

14. lukem

lukem

bear 1998, Chaz, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  15. papadave

papadave

I made some rails for mine, but they get in the way of loading and unloading, so I don't use 'em much.
    Probably just as well, or I'd probably overload the mule.:rofl: :lol:

bear 1998, Well Seasoned and wildwest like this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

17. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

I own a 17 cu Agri-Fab with tilt. I have loaded to where it has actually lifted the rear end of riding mowers off the ground before. Never a problem and have owned for 20 years now.

Looks like this.

[​IMG]

18. bushpilot

bushpilot

Mine looks nothing like that!

I bought one of these used for $40, been using it for 2 years. It looks every bit as ugly as you would expect for that price, but works great. I had to make a new tailgate, other than that it is trouble free and adequate for the lawn tractor.

Greg

bear 1998, papadave and Horkn like this.
  19. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

I've been building my own trailer, taking notes from other trailers, building what I want for my needs. Today I got my fenders figured out, one is welded the other side is ready to fit and weld, 3/16 tread plate and solid 3/16 plate on the inside 1.5 angle on the outside, tread plate for step ups I front and in back of the fenders, tomorrow I will be finishing the fenders, starting and hopefully finishing removable siderails, if I get that done I'll be putting on my 2x10 bed on that, the trailer is 5x10 3500 lb axles, it'll be a wood hauling machine when I'm done! Also have the hideaway ramps complete. So ready to have this project complete!

Attached Files:

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:yes: Nice work Shag. Is this a road legal trailer or yard cart or both?
    Keep us posted and more pics please.
    I think I still want to build a cart for myself, the Brinly is for my folks.
    My little ten cu ft craftsmen here at home got a flat over the weekend. All and all it works good but I want something a little bigger and heavier and better suited for the atv

bear 1998, Horkn, HDRock and 2 others like this.