In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

OEM Husqvarna cylinder/piston set

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by mywaynow, Feb 3, 2019.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow

I burned the piston on my 576 a while back. The cylinder wasn't too bad but I ordered a new OEM cylinder/piston setup. I also cleaned the old cylinder and bought a cheapo piston just to see if I could get it running. Also wanted to make sure the lower end wasn't the cause of the original failure by running the original cylinder and cheap piston first. Did the rebuild and fired it today. Ran real nice for all of 2.5 seconds then went tight as a clam. Determined the failure quite easily as a retainer clip came out and got into the rings. Not too concerned about the destruction. I did not have much into that repair.

Now the new OEM set has come assembled. Piston is inside the cylinder. Is it protocol to assume that assembly is good to go? No need to do anything other than get the rod pin out and assemble from that point? Should the cylinder walls be lubed?

Thanks in advance

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I wipe the piston with a very light coat of mix oil. Make sure you use oem pin retaining clips. I've read of many failures on the aftermarket junk. Some guys go as far as to orient the clip (opening either 12 or 6 o'clock) but I never have.

M2theB, Nixon and Canadian border VT like this.
  3. mywaynow

mywaynow

I put some synthetic 10-30 in through the plug hole and swirled it around. I was able to see the rings through the exhaust port and the exhaust indicator through the plug hole so all was good. Reassembled with the new OEM goodies and she is barking nice and nasty. I will be putting her to the wood this week. Back to the big white oak that did in the original piston.

M2theB and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  4. M2theB

M2theB

I’ll give all of it the 2cycle lube. Wrist pin, roll the needle bearing, the piston ring groove, the cylinder wall and a splash in the case to catch the crank bearings.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.