In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oak covered or not drying time

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by DNH, Sep 18, 2019.

1. DNH

DNH

I have a couple cords white oak I split and stacked early spring 2019 some is top covered some not, all in the same row, not planning on getting to it until at least 2020-2021 at the earliest. Was down by the stacks wanted to see how everything was seasoning so took a maul and MM.

Top covered (tin) 38-40% moisture
    Not covered 34-36% moisture, this was equal size splits resplit taken from top 12” of the stack. What I’ve noticed is first fall a lot of leaves get into the non covered stacks and really slow down drying in subsequent years.

Black walnut CSS top covered spring 2017 sub 20%
    Not covered 25-35%

Mimosa CSS top covered spring 2019 all sub 25% will likely burn some of this this winter to free up some space.

Did not even check my mulberry, oak, cherry that is left over from last year as I know it’s sub 20 and likely 15%

I’ve been making some charcoal from the cherry for use in my big green egg, it’s fantastic!!!

2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Interesting findings, can you tell us more about the stacking area itself? What does the sun exposure look like for these stacks ? Big trees blocking? I guess a lot of variables to ask about.... not sure what would explain the uncovered stacked wood in comparison to the covered. Covered is always good but uncovered can have a more direct exposure to the sun so the deviation could be related to the 12” portion of your stack. More so if it were lower. Glad the cherry charcoal worked out!

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not surprising. That is why we don't top cover during that first summer and fall. Then once we do top cover, we leave it on. I'd hate to do like some with covering then uncovering, then covering, etc.

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I dont mind leaving a stack uncovered for the summer, but i do like to have them covered by fall just so they dont get leaves down between them.
    I dont see a huge difference covered or uncovered as i try to stay 3-4 years ahead.

5. jrider

jrider

As already mentioned, more info on the amount of sunshine on the uncovered stack. Summer sun is your friend when it comes to drying firewood.

6. billb3

billb3

A year would be good for mimosa ?
    I have one to take down. It's mostly dead. Not terribly big, but there's a few splits there on the trunk.
    Chocolate mimosa - wasn't a good choice for this far north. It did well for 6 or 7 years until it experienced its first 0º Winter temps. Seeds would sprout but the seedlings wouldn't make it thru the Winter.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have six cords of mostly white oak, balance is red, in the stacks pictured. One area of my wood storage. It was CSS stacked over the course of last Fall /Winter. I never top covered till couple weeks ago. The wood is in a well shaded area. The sapwood has started spouting fungi/mushrooms etc. Wanted to cover before the leaves came out but dragged my feet. The wood was standing dead when cut. Once i cover, its stays covered. I use tarps, plastic and/or metal. No shed or lean to.
    Each stack is two cords. IMG_4391.JPG

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I definitely see a huge difference if left uncovered after that first summer. Wood just does not seem to have as many btus if left uncovered.

9. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I have had good luck with top covering only, for oak or any hardwoods I’m seasoning. The racks I use are 5’ tall by 12’ long. I get plenty of daytime sunshine and the prevailing wind goes right through them

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I agree, but its not a huge difference.
    I burned at least 6 cords the last two years that were 5-6 years uncovered. There were some spots that were a little bit punky and some pieces were starting to degrade, but over all, the wood was fine.

11. DNH

DNH

Stacks are under the edge of the timber line running N/S so they get morning sun and a fair breeze. Working on a shed today and tomorrow that will hold 3+ cord of oak that I won’t touch for at least 3 years. The rest of my wood is on pallets I move to the house as needed with the tractor.

The only other places I could stack would be in my garden (not happening) or out in the yard, our ground does not freeze up reliably enough to do this without creating foot deep ruts every winter so I’ll just deal with shade and continue to trim and drop trees so I can have more sun = more weeds to grow = more time weedeating. Maybe I won’t trim any more trees!

bear 1998, Backwoods Savage and Thor like this.
  12. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Ive never top covered wood... never have, never will...

Its wood... it sits 2-3yrs depending on species, then light it on fire and it burns... every single time too hahahaha

bear 1998 and TurboDiesel like this.