In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Now That Heating Oil is $6.00/gal in New England, How Many People Are Changing Over to Wood Pellets?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Orson_Yancey, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I was shocked to learn this morning that home heating oil is now $6.00 per gal. in New England. I guess I will
    be planning for more change over to heating with wood pellets. Some people are going to have a
    difficult time with heating costs next winter. Are you seeing many new people changing over to wood pellets? We may see
    a big run on wood pellets starting about August.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Ugg! I recall other speculation here that UK likely could too.

3. PelletHound

PelletHound

Today's Discount Oil Prices:150+ Gal: $6.359100-140 Gal: $6.459

I was shocked to see this price for oil.Ordering pellets tomorrow.People will freeze to death at this price.My pellet stove is worth it's weight in gold!

4. scajjr2

scajjr2

gasoline prices have jumped up over the past few days as well to $4/gal & higher from what I hear. Speedway in No. Salem/Windham on Rt 28 was $3.69 on Monday, all the other stations on Rt 111 back to Kingston were $3.84-$3.89. Have to go out tomorrow will see what those are now.

We have budgeted $1200/yr for pellets over the last few years (usually buy 4 tons a year) but looks like this year with the price jumps that'll be going up to $1400+. But still cheaper than oil or using our electric baseboard heat. We could heat with the electric for roughly the same cost but that's keeping the house at 66F, pellets keep us at 72F.

sam

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I filled up with diesel about a month ago, it was $4.99/gal :doh: I'm almost empty, don't want to know what it is now. Saw a pic on face book one gas station was a $5.18 :hair: Husband will fill it up tomorrow while in town, I'll ask how much it is.

We burn 5-7 tons a year, I really hope there is not a shortage this winter.

mat60, PelletHound, CleanFire and 2 others like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

Since my boiler runs off of expensive propane I changed to heating full time with pellet stoves years ago. My budget has always been 1,200-1,500/year for heating. . Between looking for deals during the summer on CL/FMP and hitting early sales at the local TSC. I was able to get 6 tons during the HD spring clearance, so spent less than $1,200 for more than a year of heating - I expect pellet costs to go up for next heating season.

I have done a fair amount of heating with my minisplit this year (put in last spring for A/C use only - for some reason never realized they heat too). So far, the trade off between extra electricity and pellets has been pretty much even (assuming pellet prices of ~$5.50/bag). Which makes sense as the mbtu costs, according to the state website, were running pretty much neck and neck this year. I still used about 4 tons (versus 5-6 tons). I am currently looking at solar which would help protect me from future increases in electricity costs which is important as I grow older and may use the minisplit more and more (or not, who knows what the future holds).

Gas around here has been anywhere from $4.00 to $4.30/gal for quite some time.

To think, last spring/summer/fall, there were threads on who all was quitting their pellet stoves (on here and other forums). Now it is being asked who is returning to, or knows people who are going to, pellet stoves.

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

My 3yr stacks keep gaining in value. Which, while great for house heat, is unfortunate as prices keep rising elsewhere that wood can't help with.

We all make do as best we can.

P.S. we've had our fuel tank filled once in 6 years. :thumbs:

mat60, fuelrod, bogieb and 8 others like this.
  8. theburtman

theburtman

I had our tank filled in June 2020 after 6 seasons. I almost waited another year. Glad I didn't.

mat60, bogieb, Softwood and 6 others like this.
  9. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

The numbers $$$$ for heating fuel is insane.

I am certainly happy that we use the pellet stoves with the biomass fuel...

Where we are there are few choices for heating.....We do not have natural gas in the area....Fuel oil, propane, wood, Pellet stoves. electricity.....

Our house has an all electric furnace....We only use it for the AC

The cost of everything is getting stupid.......

mat60, fuelrod, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Previous home was $3300/year, propane boiler (1993-2014), so $1200-$1800 here plus some wood stove on frigid days was a relief. Except our electricity bill is a lot more here, we use more and the price has gone up.
    Still have my sights on a minisplit, budget changed and it's on the back burner again unfortunately.
    Insanely stupid!

mat60, bogieb, theburtman and 2 others like this.
  11. CleanFire

CleanFire

Same as everyone above Orson_Yancey , burning wood pellets / stocking up now. Off-road diesel is back to 5.00+/gal. in this area, still going to get 50 or so gals. in the tank over the next several weeks.

We "doubled-down" on a 2nd pellet stove (used purchase) back in late Feb. / early March: have the new gaskets installed w/ new replacement burn pot, will be test-firing next week. :yes:

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Today's fill up was $5.25 :picard:

mat60, bogieb and CleanFire like this.
  13. imacman

imacman

Actually, even though it's ridiculous, I just checked my old address in NY on the COD Oil.com website. I used to get (what I thought) were pretty reasonable prices from them. Well, I just checked my old NY zip code, and for 250 Gal., today's price is $6.14 :eek::eek::eek:

I am SOOOO glad to be in NC and warmer climate. I don't even think about heating bills now.

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Pete, is this home heating or diesel fuel for a vehicle? Either way, HOLY COW ons $6.14!!!!!

mat60, bogieb and CleanFire like this.
  15. imacman

imacman

HHO

16. PelletHound

PelletHound

Prices really shot up the last 2 weeks.No idea why.I won't be filling up any time soon.I did order 3 ton of Matra's.I'll store them in the garage for next season.:thumbs:

mat60, M2theB, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  17. Warner

Warner

Propane or oil? How do you heat your DHW?

mat60, bogieb, imacman and 2 others like this.
  18. scajjr2

scajjr2

All the gas stations that were $3.84/gal for gas a few days ago are now $4.05. One station was $3.84 on my way to Hudson this afternoon, was $4.05 on my way back.

sam

mat60, Orson_Yancey, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

How can HHO be a dollar more than off road diesel when it’s essentially same stuff?

billb3, mat60, fuelrod and 2 others like this.
  20. theburtman

theburtman

Maybe the cost of home delivery vs driving to the pump?

mat60, CleanFire, bogieb and 2 others like this.