In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Not really a black rifle but.....

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Aug 20, 2022.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Recent purchase of an M1 carbine and some gear. Receiver is marked Quality HMC. Barrel is marked Underwood 8-43. The sights are the later gradient type. Wide stock band with bayonet lug, lever safety, flat bolt. Stock is a refinished, lightly sporterized, 4 rivet, low wood potbelly. It has an original GI sling and oiler. It came with a 5 round after market clip but I have other clips that were once my Father's. Along with it came an original GI cotton web jump sock, Ordinance parts manual, M1 carbine manual, Bayonet and scabbard, and a GI arsenal refit kit with most internal parts, cleaning rod and 3 armory tools. Also around 100 rounds of ammo. It has been evaluated by a local gunsmith/appraiser as an Armory reworked and upgraded (Reworks were very common) Quality HMC carbine of the second of six serial number blocks. I took it out and fired it at the range. The aftermarket 5 shot magazine had a lot of play in it and occasionally missed picking up a new round after firing. I switched to an original GI round clip from my Fathers gear and no play, no issues. Included are pics of two 50 yd groups one of which is 1 1/8"center to center so this little gun is definitely a shooter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    FarmerJ, In the Pines, Jutt and 14 others like this.
  2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Great gun. Cool that you get to use your dads magazines for it. Enjoy

3. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Awesome carbine! They are a lot of fun to shoot! That one looks like it’s pretty consistent too. Now to keep an eye open for ammo….

In the Pines, FatBoy85 and metalcuttr like this.
  4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hey J. Dirt I got about 100 rounds with the gun. A local seller had 250 rounds of new loads by Prvi Partizan, a Serbian company that I have not heard of. Non corrosive, brass cases. I bought 1 box of 50 but they are expensive at $36 a box. If they work out and I cant find any cheaper, I will buy the rest. Might have to gear up to reload them!

Ohio, In the Pines, J. Dirt and 2 others like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

If you need original mags as well as surplus ammo, I have a bit. I've got no m1 carbine in my collection and this was stuff my dad collected. Pm me if interested

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Heck yeah Russ! Enjoy that thing, I hope to get one myself but that ammo is steep.

7. Biddleman

Biddleman

They are fun to shoot!
    Who am I kidding...all guns are fun to shoot.

In the Pines, Jutt, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I started reloading for it since it was so expensive and hard to find.

In the Pines, Jutt, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jutt

Jutt

I’ve shot a fair bit of Prvi Partizan in other calibers but mostly 5.56. It’s been good to go in my experience.

Eckie, metalcuttr and In the Pines like this.