In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Northern NJ: Unseasoned split Red Oak, $157.00 per cord

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by golf66, Oct 25, 2014.

1. golf66

golf66

gents, I stumbled upon this ad in Craigslist and wanted to share it with you. the seller is offering 3.5 cords of unseasoned wood for $480.0....he said that most of the wood was oak, but that there would be some poplar, ash maple etc mixed in. I offered him $550.00 for 3.5 cords of straight oak and we had a deal. He delivered the load yesterday afternoon and it looks solid. Of course the final assessment will be when it's all stacked, but the splits are obviously clean red oak, no junk, and he seemed like a straight-up guy. He was meticulous with when the load would be delivered and his truck was new and clean. He asked me to look at the load before he dumped it which is a good sign, particularly since some fly-by-night firewood operators deliver when it's dark. It's too soon to tell if this is a "great" deal, but there is a forking mountain of red oak in my yard for 2016-2017.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/4697290569.html

Upstatewoodcutter and papadave like this.
  2. Gasifier

Gasifier

That sounds like a good deal for Oak. Up here they sell by the Face Cord. Your price works out to about $57 a face cord. Good for you golf66!

Upstatewoodcutter likes this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

So you have about 9.5 face cord there Eh?

4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I've seen their CL postings before. I wonder where the wood is sourced. I would have to think he has tree services dumping logs upon him, thus making the acquisition side rather inexpensive.

5. $ooline

$ooline

This is the going rate for good red,black and/or white oak where I'm located....$160/cord split and delivered. ALOT of good firewood guys that sell what they don't need around here so it's usually good stuff.

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

That is cheap in my opinion. If I could buy Oak that cheap all split and delivered I would probably buy 1/3 of my supply each year of that. Just to use that higher BTU wood in Jan., Feb., Mar.

$ooline likes this.
  7. $ooline

$ooline

ok, ya I'm in a real competive market I would say. My 68 yr old dad has been burning wood for heat and my mom's sake upstairs since I was born 40 years ago so most everything I know about this stuff is from him and his buddy he grew up with. This friend of his is the one who really gets into selling firewood. Although he never did this for a living. I will say he only delivers to our town and the surrounding areas, say 15 mile radius or so. But again it seems EVERYONE buys/cuts/processes firewood around my area, so it's not hard to come across.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014