In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No need for a fan at damper?

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Sourwood, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

I had a conversation with the man who installed my boiler. Discussion of the fan came up. He said the if it died, just operate on the damper. They were obliged by the Government to add the fan to get the wood to burn hotter, but the damper is all that is needed with seasoned wood.

I have the non EPA unit. Anyone doing this?

2. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I have a Central Boiler 6048 non epa outdoor boiler. I bought it new in 2006, the first 10 years I ran it with just the damper no fan. I met a fellow with the same stove & he had a fan, told me how much faster the temperature recover & how much less smoke they’re was by using the fan. I figured I’d give it a try & bought one. I had it on the stove for 2 years all I noticed was it was somewhat easier to burn green wood with the fan but I also noticed even with seasoned wood my wood consumption was more with the fan than without. I took it of & it’s in a box in the basement. Just my experience.

Chaz, Screwloose and Sourwood like this.
  3. Sourwood

Sourwood

Farmchuck my solenoid went out again (bas one? Who knows). I remembered your reply.
    Since yesterday, I have shimmed the damper open about 25%, and it has maintained an operating temperature without overheating. Likely due to the low teen temps, and the furnaces running more often.

I have a bbq meat thermometer attached to the intake line, and can monitor the temperature. Definitely no need for the fan, I can see.

trip to the dealer in the morning for a new, and a backup part

Chaz likes this.
  4. JustWood

JustWood Guest

I have a 6048 also
    No fan on damper and works fine.
    Only time it would be nice is when fire is almost out and a restart is necessary .
    I’ve come up with a method to get temps up quick and will pass on installing the blower

Chaz and Farmchuck like this.
  5. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Well that stinks. Is your stove a Central Boiler or a different brand?

Chaz likes this.
  6. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

What is your method for getting your water temperature up quickly sir?

Chaz likes this.
  7. Sourwood

Sourwood

Farmchuck it is a 6048. I got the solenoid chamged out, but i found the true issue is a loose connection, or more likely a connection that needs cleaned with a brush and electonic cleaner. I bumped it and the systen kicked on. But has again failed to activate when the temp got down.

I will give it a good scrubbing and doubt there will be a problem his season. I wanted extra parts for the boiler anyhow. After a service call from the daler, i realized i could buy every replacement item and have it on hand, and be money ahead, or even

Chaz likes this.
  8. Sourwood

Sourwood

Please say it isnt gasoline! :hair:

Chaz likes this.
  9. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Sawdust noodles soaked in used fryer oil. Couple shovels on some slab wood stacked up front and a heat making storm erupts .

Farmchuck likes this.
  10. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Nice!