In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Wood Cook Stoves

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Longsnowsm, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

...which is why I would highly recommend anyone buying a wood cookstove to opt for the coal grate option. Coal burning (anthracite coal...NOT bituminous) for any length of time after wood burning tends to help dry out creosote. You could use wood seasoned three years of more...the dryer the better, and you could also use Cre-Away powder (by Saver Systems) to help with creosote.

I have found the Amish to build products that are practical, that is, they simply work for what they are intended for, though very plain. If you want a stove to look at, buy one to look at. If you want something that works without fail (the majority of the time...if it's failing they will change it until it works) and heat is the top priority, or cooking and heating, then look no further.

Scroll down here for history ... About — Heco .

I agree...I'd like to see the reburn in action. However, being the maker worked for DSM I expect the reburn will be as good as the DS Comformax 75 and Energymax 110/160...which are really good. Nice slow secondaries, or raging secondaries...how ever you set it.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  2. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

I looked around to see if coal is really an option in my area and I am not finding much. So I don't know how viable coal would be for me to consider adding the shaker grate option since I am not finding anything with a quick google search. I see Tractor Supply lists it as in store only for 40lb bag at $7. However I have never seen it in TSC when I have been in there. So I don't even know where I would find coal if I wanted to use it. I searched for some videos on burning coal and that looks actually pretty efficient which makes me ask a lot more questions about the demonizing of coal. I think if coal were easily available I would be interested in adding the shaker grate to the stove I ordered.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman