In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New to me woodstove.

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by farmer steve, Jan 25, 2021.

1. farmer steve

farmer steve

This stove was in my neighbors house but they never used it. It was hooked up to the oil fired baseboard heat system. This brand was made starting back in the 70's when oil prices started to climb and was mfg. into the early 2000's. They must have sold thousands. Neighbor sold the house and the people that moved in were using it. I knew the wood they were using was not ready to burn and I even showed the guy the moisture levels of the wood he was cutting and hauling in. Fire co. showed up one time because of the CO2 detectors going off. You can see the creosote on the door. Anyhow another really nice couple bought the house. I saw him hauling pellets in one day and asked about the woodstove. Took it out and using pellet stove. I told him I was interested in the woodstove. He called Saturday and said he had the stove out in the driveway. We had never talked price. Went over with the tractor and forks and hauled it home. The price? Wasn't more than a dollar. :thumbs: This stove probably sold for around 2 grand new. The Wood Wolverine knows how heavy these things are. 20210125_110833.jpg 20210125_110821.jpg 20210125_110901.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

WOW! That was quite neighborly of them! I’d love to know the gross weight on it. That’s one job I’d never want to say I did, deliver Bakers!

Where’s it going Steve, in the shop?

Loon, amateur cutter, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve

Not sure the weight Jason but when I picked it up with the tractor I knew it was there. Heavy sum beech. Not sure where it's going but probably the shop. Need to figure out what I need for plumbing and an exchanger.

4. MikeyB

MikeyB

Oh yeah, I’m dying to see what your plans are for this beast. I bet it could make a good pool heater as well.
    Does it have a coil on top of the firebox? It that a coil/plate on the side?

5. Horkn

Horkn

Me too. Yeah, does it have an exchanger in it?

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

It wood. All I need is a pool.:rofl: :lol:
    As far as I can tell it has a coil for domestic hot water and a coil for hot water heat. My plumbing buddy already has big plans for it in my shop.:makeitrain"As soon as the weather cooperates I'll get it outside and give it a good cleaning. You guys wood have heart failure if you saw the creosote buildup inside the stove.

Loon, amateur cutter, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Nice grab... and for a reasonable price too... :rofl: :lol:

Loon, amateur cutter, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  8. Hoytman

Hoytman

That stove is a good candidate for glass windows and a secondary air tube modification. Those Bakers are well built.

Loon, amateur cutter, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Some came with the glass option. Most of the people I know switched to the metal plate after their glass broke. I forget what the glass cost but it was a pretty penny. I like the eagles on the doors.:usa: Not sure what you mean for air tube mods.
    20210211_124350.jpg

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Adding a secondary air tube will improve the overall efficiency of the stove. Helps to re-burn the gases in the upper part of the stove before the gases can leave the firebox and condense in the flue.

EPA certified equivalent.

Loon, amateur cutter and farmer steve like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Sounds like a great addition :yes:

Loon, amateur cutter and farmer steve like this.
  12. Hoytman

Hoytman

Don’t have a problem feeling Patriotic with that stove, for sure, so I understand that.

However, today’s glass is super durable. If you search you can find videos on YouTube of them heating a piece of glass real hot and pouring liquid nitrogen on it without it breaking from thermal shock. Pretty impressive. Here’s just one example...and eagle’s can be etched into the glass.

Not sure if those steel plates will come off or not. You’ll have to poke around and see.

Below is a real good example of what can be done to enhance your stove. Experiment around with black iron pipe and when you get it right build the final with stainless steel.

13. Kimberly

Kimberly

The new glass for wood stoves has zero or close to zero thermal expansion when heated. Therefore, it makes it resistance to thermal breakage from changes in temperature. This was the cause for the glass falling out in the Madison stoves; the glass retainers were not long enough and when the cast iron door expanded and got larger, the glass stayed the same size and no longer fit.

amateur cutter, Loon and farmer steve like this.
  14. Loon

Loon

Nice scoop farmer and good on the new neighbors ya have.:cheers:

farmer steve and amateur cutter like this.