In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New To Forum need Pellit Stove Advice....

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by MiMod, Oct 2, 2019.

1. MiMod

MiMod

Hi . First Post on this site. Well, I'm looking for advice on a decent Pellet Burner. I have been burning wood for years with a free standing unit in my Living room. I heat a Apx 2000 Sq Ft Ranch Home. What I'm looking for is a free standing unit to replace the wood burner. I'd like one with a big hopper ( 120 lbs apx) Sorta checked out all the big box stores & at the moment knowing not a heck of a lot, The Voglzang VG5790 @ $1500 appears to be the front runner... Its real hard to find shall we say non agenda connected ratings on these things out on the open interweb…. The unit I'm looking for will be used 24/7 in the winter & I can go more $ ($2500 or so if needed) So Whats the good stuff and where do I find it ! I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

jtakeman, bogieb, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to meet you, we run our Eco-65 24/7/365, good sized hopper. Our living room/kitchen/office is all one room so it's a bit noisy in here but I forget the noise when I crank it up and feel the heat :) We had 2 woodstoves, now it's all the pellet stove except extreme temps when we light the remaining woodstove too, nice to not have a bark trail every time a load of logs get brought in (and it was several times a day x2 stoves).

3. chris

chris

better to shop the dealer and the mfg of a stove than the price. The dealer particularly if not handy. The mfg for parts and support. Voglzang is a brand distributed by USSC- a company that is not high on my list in either category. Sooner or later every stove has a problem. How it is resolved by the dealer/mfg is what counts.

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Welcome aboard MiMod.... lots of very well established pellet stove folks here.... more will chime in directly.

5. krooser

krooser

The USSC stoves tend to be bottom of the barrel in quality and design. A better choice would be an Englander which is a good stove...make sure you get a large enough btu rating...and remember this isn't wood. Softwood pellets burn cleaner and hotter than hardwoods.

6. imacman

imacman

As Krooser mentions, Englander makes a large line of good stoves, and their customer service is the best in the industry.

You wanted a large hopper, so maybe this is something you'd like. It's a 2000 Sq. Ft heater, with 120 LB hopper. This company (AM FM Energy) sells Englander 2nds and refurbs, and ships free to a local loading dock. All the stoves have full factory 1 yr. warranty.

55-TRPAH - PELLET BURNING STOVE - 2,000 sq. ft. (Factory-refurbished)

55-TRPAH - PELLET BURNING STOVE - 2,000 sq. ft. (Factory 2nd)

And here's a video from Englander showing it in action:

7. ironpony

ironpony

Harman, set it and forget it. Dump in a bag a day, clean weekly.

8. Rich250

Rich250

All good recommendations so far and I will add this one CAB50 Pellet Stove which would be my choice in that price range if you have a dealer in your area.

9. bogieb

bogieb

I'm a confirmed Harman-aholic. A P61a (with hopper extension) or P68 would be a good choice for you - although they are above your price range. If handy, you might be able to find a good used one on CL though. They are easy to clean and maintain, rarely have issues (although there are always exceptions to any rule), and are pretty much self-regulating. And all that is true even if you are a girl with very little mechanical abilities (as I was when I got my first stove - btw, I'm still a girl just a little more handy now :D). There are lots of good stoves out there and as long as you keep them clean, many of them will give you years and years of good service.

My belief is that BBS's have their place (I am at one a couple times a month and use their products liberally), but a pellet stove is not one of those things that one should be cheaping out on - especially if trying to heat your whole house.

Also, I would like to point out that pellet stoves do not heat the same way that a wood stove does, so regardless of what you decide to get, you will need to adjust your expectations. In some ways, pellet stoves are "better", in some ways not as good (especially during a power outage).

Good luck in your decision making!

10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'll also not recommend a USSC works clunker. Look into maybe a used stove if money is that tight. Or at least something new thats a tad higher in quality unless you are handy enough to deal with the mishaps of a low dollar clunker!!

As others have said. Englander makes a far better starter unit. ;)

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Guess we should mention horizontal feeders ( can't recall the words at the moment) vs a vertical feeders.

Thanks imacman , MiMod, seems one of them is preferable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    bogieb, imacman and Eric VW like this.
  12. imacman

imacman

Top feed vs bottom feed

bogieb, wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  13. schoondog

schoondog

Explore your area for dealers and go take a look at whats available locally to you. Many good stoves out there, find a unit you like and talk to a few dealers to see who you trust. Come back and let us know what you find. If you are handy ,and do your own repairs, in a few years you may need parts or advise and having a dealer close will be nice. If no one strikes your fancy than follow imacmans advice and go with an Englander. Can't go wrong with a Harman or a Quadra fire in my opinion. Good luck

Schoondog

14. subsailor

subsailor

I'll take the bottom feed, thank you.

15. bogieb

bogieb

Me too

imacman, PelletHound, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  16. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

And then there's the rest of us!!!

Dan

funny_laugh.jpg

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

imacman and bogieb like this.
  18. MiMod

MiMod

Wow ! Thank you all, great Advice ! I've checked in to several of the models you all spoke of & found dealers within 20 miles. So will be paying several a visit before I decide.
    Couple of Q----- It was mentioned BTU rating, what is your recommendation ?
    ---- Soft wood Pellets ? is this the way to go on all pellet stoves or just certain ones ?

Again , Thanks for trying to steer me away from problems.. I am quite handy , (but I'd rather not have to prove it any more than necessary:D)

bogieb and imacman like this.
  19. Dpopps

Dpopps

There are some really good hardwood brands out there and some not so great softwoods. Its always best to try a few bags of the brands available at a price your willing to pay.

bogieb, Rich250 and imacman like this.
  20. PelletHound

PelletHound

I would also say there are some not so great hardwood pellets and some awesome softwood pellets.Try some of both and make a choice.I burn softwood for the low ash and high btu.

slvrblkk, bogieb and Rich250 like this.