In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New stove recommendations

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by J Dub, Jul 18, 2020.

1. J Dub

J Dub

I am looking for a stove for my sons place i’m building. I have a Drolet Myriad, and love it but cant find any close. looks like Home depot doesn’t carry the NC 30 anymore. What do you guys recommend that is a good stove. (800 sg ft shouse with concrete floor)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  2. RGrant

RGrant

If you like the NC-30 I picked one up from Facebook Marketplace a month or so ago. It was used, but they're still out there.

As for advice on a stove, it's all personal preference to some extent, but if you can provide some details about the home, the climate and what your son's expectations of performance are, I suspect some folks will be able to give better advice than I can.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman

I know where a new Myriad I is and the guy is asking a decent price for it. Where are you located?

Sent you a pm.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  4. J Dub

J Dub

illinois

5. Hoytman

Hoytman

PM sent with a link to stove.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

NC30 is too big for 800 sq ft.

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

Myriad is listed as 900-2100 sq ft and is likely too big as well. Good catch brenndatomu!! I missed that part of the post.

8. Hoytman

Hoytman

Drolet wood burning stove - household items - by owner - housewares...

The differences between to I/II/III are likely not much.

1&2 have the door hinges on the left side, on the right for the 3.

Slight variation in placement of air controls.

From the M1 to the M3 each stove has a different number of air tubes in it.

The M1 had a SS baffle above the tubes where the 2&3 had bricks or baffle board and all have SS secondary air tubes. Each newer model of stove burns cleaner than the previous model.

Modifying an Myriad I to burn more like a M2 or M3 should be relatively easy.

They have nice big fire boxes that are also square for East/west loading or north/south loading.

M1 & M2 have a bypass. I don’t think the M3 has it, but I could be mistaken.

9. J Dub

J Dub

I would think so too, but I have the same set up in my shop and it works good for me. just keep fires smaller when I need to

10. Chaz

Chaz

Not sure that I completely agree.

Our IS is rated at up to 2300 square ft.

Our base dimensions are 28X35 ft..
    980 sq. ft for the downstairs, maybe 2/3 of that upstairs.

So.. let's go with around 1600 sq ft

Our stove can heat all of that, but the upstairs is mostly closed off, and it can still put me in shorts in the middle of winter, not running as high as it could.

I intentionally went overkill with the stove, but I know it can handle the worst we'll likely ever see.

:thumbs::thumbs:

I did contemplate an NC30 as well.. but it didn't have as much "buffer" as I wanted.

I don't necessarily agree that there's "too much" stove.. within reason of course.

$.02

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

But...don't you have a cat stove? Those do low n slow much better than a tube stove like the NC30...I still think unless the house is poorly insulated/air sealed, the 30 will be too much on most days.
    Its all about match heat output with heat load though...a 800 SF barn with no insulation on the Canadian border of Minnesota will need a NC30...plus some...but 800 SF with average insulation/air sealing in Illinois will need much much less heat

Hoytman, Chaz and Rush Battle like this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz

You are correct, and I did not take the stove differences into account.
    :yes:

I can indeed go low n slow with the IS
    :cool:

13. Highbeam

Highbeam

As an owner of an NC30 and a cat stove, the nc30 needs to be running pretty hot to be running clean. That's great for my application but not for primary heat in an average insulation home of 800 SF. It would work but there would be a lot of small fires and indoor temperatures would fluctuate a lot. A nice cat stove like the IS or a smaller woodstock/BK would be able to idle cleanly at low output for greater comfort but more money up front.

Now that Englander has come out with a 2020 compliant version of the NC30, home depot might get it again. Otherwise I would investigate the drolet line for low cost dependable steel noncat stoves.

Chazsbetterhalf, billb3, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  14. billb3

billb3

The IS output can be trimmed down to 9,4xx BTU, I doubt the NC30 can go that low (without modifications).
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 12.04.18 PM.png

As Highbeam mentions, small fires in a big stove, while it can be done, is a pain in the rump and far too often quite uncomfortable.
    I have a tiny non-cat wood stove and although it's not exactly unmanageable it's a bit of a challenge as a heater. Luckily I have a oil boiler that sips fuel for a back-up to cover for the minimums and can open a door/window for when it is a bit too much.

15. RGrant

RGrant

Welcome to Woodstock Soapstone is doing their summer stove give away again. Drawing is on 8/14. It's for the Absolute, but they'll allow the winner to put the full amount of the stove towards a different or larger model.

I have the Survival and love it. Say's its for up to 1000 sqft. My home is 1200 and I've not found it to be lacking.

16. Hoytman

Hoytman

I think it's a very classy thing for Woodstock to allow the winner to put the money on a stove they prefer. Not many companies do that in any drawings.

17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Agreed. Few if any would ever even consider it.
    A testament to the drive and commitment that Woodstock thrives by. And I don’t even own one of their great stoves (although I did enter the drawing.... so maybe I will!)
    :D

brenndatomu, Chaz and RGrant like this.