In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by lukem, Feb 8, 2021.

1. lukem

lukem

Getting a used one of these in a few weeks. The deal is done, just need to go pick it up.

Ez Boardwalk Junior - EZ Boardwalk Portable Band Saw Mills

I think the first order of business will be to make a platform to keep it on. Someday it will go under roof, but that won't be for a while.

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Having chainsaw milled my fair share, that sure will be quicker! Looks cool, can’t wait to see some pictures when you get it up and running. Did you pop for electric start?

3. lukem

lukem

No electric start. Honda GX motors are easy to start....on the bigger ones you have to roll into the compression stroke, grip firmly, and pull like you mean it and it fires right up.

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Good luck with your new mill :popcorn:waiting for the pictures JB

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Very nice looking mill. If I came across something used around here I would be tempted to get it. The bandsaw mills are a nice way to go and I do like making simple projects with the wood slabs I get from doing it.

6. cnice_37

cnice_37

Looks like a nice compromise of size and capability. :popcorn:

7. comanche79p

comanche79p

You will like the EZ Boardwalk. Congratulations!

8. fuelrod

fuelrod

You're going to have fun :thumbs:
    I sawed out my first building project last summer. Talk about rewarding, then with today's lumber prices on top of the personal satisfaction...priceless.

9. lukem

lukem

Got the mill home tonight. I need some hardware replaced and some alignment tuning, but overall in great shape. Will post pics soon.

10. fuelrod

fuelrod

I've had my mill in my shop for a while "tinkering" with it, mostly what little maintainence there is and 1 repair that caused some issues. I'm itching to get back to sawing. Put your patience hat on for the alignment, I just did that for the first time and I think it's good. I'll see when I start cutting.
    Good luck and have fun!

11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

alignment setting makes a lot of difference in how well the mill saws you get it right and it stays real good unless you have a whoops and drop a monster log and knock it out but I check my settings every 5-700 bd feet just to keep ahead of any issues and the slight adjustments here and there keep me sawing accurate lumber good luck JB

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem

I'm having a hard time getting the two band wheels co-planar. I have a laser pulley alignment tool I borrow from my BIL so I know my measurements are good, but there just isn't enough adjustment in the idler side...and minimal adjustment in the drive side. Need to get this figured out.

13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I am not sure how adjusters work on that mill anything look like it was bent or repaired anytime in the mills life? if you are running out of adjustment just makes me think something is bent somewhere JB

Chazsbetterhalf and Mag Craft like this.
  14. fuelrod

fuelrod

Do you have the factory "books"?
    I imagine that all mills have very similar means for adjustments. I just hopefully did mine for the first time. The blade stays where they want (1/4" ahead of the back of the wheels) while spinning it by hand at least 10 revolutions, but I haven't sunk it into a log either. It's amazing how much difference it makes spinning it under proper blade tension, and just tight. I know what you're going through as I'll be surprised if I got mine right.
    One thing that I read in my books was don't try to adjust the blade tracking at just one wheel. Your statement of "there's just not enough adjustment in the idler side" made me think of the above statement in my book.
    I think I've got mine "set" then loosen the blade and then tighten it up.... then it's not right ???? Must have done this 10-12 times. It's a job that we both have to learn, and what I'm saying is that maybe (remember that I don't know chit) you need to move the drive wheel in the opposite direction to try to have both wheels starting with equal adjustments (travel) available in both tracking directions?

JB Sawman and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

I wonder if the laser is misleading you in that the blade has its way it wants to track and doesn't care about both wheels being on plane?
    I've also wondered if this should be done with a new blade?

16. lukem

lukem

After thinking about it some more, I used what little bit of adjustment I had on the drive side and aligned the wheel to be parallel with the frame. I should probably not worry about that and toe that wheel back toward the idler wheel (that I can get "out" far enough). I may need to add a shim or two to the pillow block bearings as well. I may get a chance to mess with it this evening.

There are no "books" on this or any information online....nothing appears to be damaged.

17. fuelrod

fuelrod

I think it's just one of those things that you need to do a few times, each time learning a little bit more while gaining some past experience to lean on.
    I've found an experienced Sawyer on the forestry forum with the same mill that's generously helping me. There's A LOT of sawing done over there and similar to FHC eager to help.

18. lukem

lukem

I think I got it figured out. Was too worried about wheels being coplanar and not worries enough about blade tracking straight. Blade is more important. Need to do a few other things before it is ready to cut so I can't test just yet.

19. lukem

lukem

Last night I ran the mill at full throttle for 3-4 minutes and the blade tracks great. Took a few measurements to make sure the blade was parallel to the bed. Guide rollers are just barely kissing the blade now too.

Anything else I need to check? I've only ever tuned up a 14" vertical bandsaw before.

The lube system was clogged...got that fixed too. What's everyone run for blade lube? Looks like water in there now, but have heard of bar oil cut with diesel too.

Just need to change motor oil...will add one of those drain hose extenders so the waste oil doesn't dump all over the frame.

20. fuelrod

fuelrod

My saw calls for the guide rollers to be down a 1/4" below the wheels, and the rear flange running behind the blade 1/4" also. In other words, subtract 1/4" to your log deck from wheels not touching.
    From what I've been reading on FF, you live depends on what you're cutting. Iirc some use straight diesel with sappy pine, and I believe that some type of soap is used also, I don't remember it there was a special wood or condition for adding soap. I've only used water so far without any problems, but me being a rookie may not have recognized a problem either. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    JB Sawman likes this.