In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New lithium 56 VDC Weed Trimmer. Good for home use?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jun 1, 2020.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Had a few gas weed wackers and the last weed eater did not last long. Now that the new 5 AH 56 VDC Lithium was on sale for $100 off @ Home Depot when I ordered it on May 16,2000, I thought I would try it? It does have a big honkin battery!!
    The new feature on the EGO Power Plus Is the fast load feature.
    EGO 15 in. 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Rear Motor String Trimmer, 5.0 Ah Battery and Charger Included-ST1534 - The Home Depot
    The trimmer operator’s manual is 114 pages, the Battery Operator’s manual is 48 pages and the Charger Operator’s manual is 60 pages! The 5 AH battery BA2800 takes 100 mins to charge And should easily last one season, so I hope I can read everything by the time the battery is ready!
    Also I hope the 5 AH battery lasts a while because a new one is $249.00 !!!
    EGO 56-Volt 5.0 Ah Battery with Fuel Gauge-BA2800T - The Home Depot
    Hopefully the batteries will get cheaper and gone on sale before we need one!
    The 5 pack of strings is $12.97 is the best bargain.
    EGO Pre-Cut 0.095 in. Twisted Trimmer Line (5-Pack)-AL2420P - The Home Depot
    Anyone have any good luck with one?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  2. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I'm not a fan of battery powered power equipment, but it seems they kept upping the battery capacity until they got to a useful run time, or they hit the weight limit most people can handle.
    The batteries are crazy expensive, more than I'm willing to shell out for, for a limited run time, but I also have a large yard to maintain.
    The only electric lawn care tool I have is an 18V Makita hedge trimmer, the bigger 5 amp hour battery gives it more run time than my arms can take.

Chazsbetterhalf and don2222 like this.
  3. don2222

don2222

I agree, I am sticking with a gas lawn mower but for just a little weed whacking this May do the trick.

4. blujacket

blujacket

I have a Worx 56v trimmer. Love it. I live on a corner lot, 1/4 acre. Lots of sidewalk. I can do my whole yard and all the edging on a single battery easily. It's also nice to be able to trim at 7 am and not make a lot of noise

5. don2222

don2222

Check out the EGO quick load feature here!

Chazsbetterhalf and blujacket like this.
  6. don2222

don2222

I just saw a you tube video and that guy has 5 year old EGO 56 volt lithium batteries and they are still working fine. :)

7. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I’m hearing good things about these electric weed trimmers. Maybe next time.

On a related note, I’m waiting for my idech power scissor head to arrive. I’m tired of tearing into fence posts and spraying my self with poison ivy. These scissor heads need a little bit of torque and the electric models should have plenty of it.

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Looked this up, I want one...Just not sure I want it $320.00 worth!

9. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

It’s $250 with The Lawn Forum discount. Still salty but I’m a happy man if I never spray myself with poison ivy juice again.

I did get to play with it some, I won’t claim it can’t scratch anything, but it does minimal damage to my wife’s raised bed boxes and our fence posts.

You can also edge turf with it and cut flat down to the ground. In fact I have an overgrown gravel driveway that I will be scalping with it.

David

Attached Files:

Chazsbetterhalf and eatonpcat like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Any idea how long it stays sharp?

11. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

No idea yet. The blades are sharp but I think sharpness is not critical. I bought a spare set of blades so I can resharpen at my convenience.

There is a big thread all about these on the lawn forum.

eatonpcat and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Even though I love the portability of battery devices, especially drills, none of them have the power of corded devices or in the case of trimmers, well I never tried a battery trimmer, gas trimmers. My trimmer is a 30 years old Stihl FS36. I have replaced the head twice (lucky I can still find it) but have never done any maintenance to it and I do not think a battery powered device will last that long. Now watch since I said that it will not start the next time I try to use it.

On the other hand if you are going to but I battery powered device don't go cheap. I have 3 cordless drills and they keep going, a blue 9.6 volt makita 30 years+ old (remember that), an 18 volt craftsman pro line 20 years old (440 ft lbs), an a lithium milwaukee.

My philosophy is the tool should be able to work as hard as I do.

dgeesaman likes this.
  13. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I know what you mean about battery tools, I never purchased a battery tool until the new Lithium Ion batteries were developed. Now I am hooked. The 20 Volt DeWalt Lithium Ion drill seams just as powerful as my old corded. Since I use it on site and outside it would be more work to setup an extension. The new higher voltage 56 volt and high amperage 5 AH seems like a winner. Plenty of power here and it lasts. The ion battery power does not go down until it is very close to discharge so it does keep it’s power also.