In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION WOOD BURNING

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by mikedub, Feb 1, 2022.

1. mikedub

mikedub

Hey everyone,

New guy here, Im building a home in Oklahoma, and thought what i wanted was a wood burning insert. However the key word insert means inserted into an existing fireplace. When i started pricing the fireplace and then then insert the price was way higher than i had budgeted.

what are some good options for this scenario? i want fairly efficient, thats why i wasnt wanting to go with a standard fireplace, but is there good options for fairly decent price efficient fireplaces? or is there wood stove options (not free standing). Not sure what options i have.

thanks, hope this makes some sence.

2. lukem

lukem

A free-standing "wood stove" is going to be the most efficient. A "fireplace" is going to be least efficient. If you want some wood stove efficiency and some fireplace looks then a wood stove insert is what you're after. There are many options out there. I don't have experience with one so I'll let some others point you to specific models.

3. RGrant

RGrant

Welcome aboard mikedub

There's a wide variety of free standing wood burning stoves that can give you a nice view of the fire, keep high efficiency and not require a large masonry structure.
    Give this a read --> Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage

If the house is under construction you have a huge array of options available.
    What are some particulars? Size of house / heating needs / wood supply / expectations -

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Hello and welcome.

A wood stove is what you want. There's lots of styles and install options. Today’s glass doors give you the vision of a fireplace with better efficiency.

5. mikedub

mikedub

house size is just 2100 sf, just want to be able to use wood to supplement heating source, this is on an acreage so have plenty of wood.
    With the layout of the living area, we do not want free standing.

ill read that link. thanks

6. mikedub

mikedub

We really want the fireplace "look" with the wood stove efficiency. But is there many options, or buy a traditional fireplace, and then buy an insert.

Ive looked at the free standing and doing some brick work , and slightly recessing the free standing inside the masonry as an option but haven't seen one that really matches what we imagine lol

7. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Welcome aboard mikedub , There are several zc style options. Locally where I’m at, there are lots of happy “cozy heat” fireplace owners. Actually my friend at work put a large addition on his smallish ranch style home and installed a cozy heat in his new construction living room. Looks like a fireplace and heats his place very well.

if you post pictures of your layout or even a sketch of plans, that may help us help you spend your $$$ :D

8. mikedub

mikedub

9. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

10. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Chazsbetterhalf and Buzz Benton like this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

12. M2theB

M2theB

welcome aboard and great question, especially if your designing and not quite building.
    I have an insert that fills the hole that was a fireplace. For me, although I loved the fireplace, it wasn’t well thought out for what our needs and wants are, not were 25 years ago.
    Again, great question.

13. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Hi Mikedub!

Welcome to the Firewood Hoarder's Club!

Great question! Sounds sort of like what I have. (??) See photos. In this house I would like to lower (or eliminate) the archway far enough down so that I could put a nice mantle above it, then recess a shallow area for a flat screen TV above the mantle. May eventually do that as, like you, the floor space is an issue.

I took a look at your plans - nice! I also had built a house where I was in your exact situation... and flinched due to the added price of the flue work, went with a gas fireplace as is pictured in your plans - and hated it. Gas fireplace looked nice, but didn't heat much of anything. I don't think any of us here would ever give up our woodstoves - we went without electricity once for 11 days (snowstorm) and were warm and cozy.

Here's a link to JTStromsburg's KOZY HEAT FIRPLACES

Best of luck!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  14. Trailman

Trailman

75A95B57-5559-4766-BBA0-EAB1AC499FF6.jpeg Here is our Kozy Z42 zero clearance that we installed last year. It’s been great to heat our basement/house this past winter. I added a custom blower / heat dump kit to pull the heat upstairs when needed or if the basement gets too warm. We’ve been very satisfied with the quality and performance. mikedub

15. Eckie

Eckie

Ok, now it looks like yall are posting pictures from pintrest or something.......

16. jo191145

jo191145

Cost of a masonry fireplace should be quite a bit higher than a stove and chimney. So if you were considering one of those you’re ahead of the game. As someone who spent half his life building masonry fireplaces,,,,,you don’t need one of those LOL
    Gotta say my Progress Hybrid gives a better flame show than any fireplace ;)

17. mikedub

mikedub

Alright, i ended up with the astria montecito fireplace. i just ran into a question. we were going to install a cedar plank mantle, however in the install instructions it says 39.5" high, and NON combustible. craaaap.

I know there is composite etc. but what have yall went with for mantels? I really dont want to spend a fortune.
    the wall is about to get bricked. considered closing on the house with NO mantel, then sticking the cedar one up AFTER i close, and giving it a little over the 39.5" height it calls for.

18. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

How would a piece of blue stone look?

Chazsbetterhalf and jo191145 like this.
  19. jo191145

jo191145

By mantel you mean a projection shelf on which you put pictures and hang socks at Christmas correct?

I looked at the manufacturers specs. 39.5 would be minimum height for any projection from hearth.
    You’re absolutely right. The manufacturer explicitly states several times the mantel and surround above the stove must be non combustible. Manufacture specs must be adhered to.
    Now if you look at figure 16A it “suggests” you could have flammable material 56” above the hearth. Suggests,,,,,not stated anywhere I can see.
    What we have here is a manufacturer that most likely messed up in the specs. Logically what if you had a wood ceiling 40’ above the insert? Would that be dangerous? Nah.
    All that being said you should contact the manufacturer and demand a real answer. They may not give you the one you want. It’s always easier to say no than we messed up, you’re right, go ahead.

Bluestone, Granite. Marble. Some choices that work well with brick. All depends on your style.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  20. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

There is a company that makes imitation mantles. I can't recall the name right now.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.