In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Furnace - New Stove

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Born2Burn, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

The 25 year old oil forced air furnace in my house a few weeks ago. Lucky us, I am a firewood hoarder so I've been able to keep us warm with the Buck 74 in the living room and lots of box fans.

Having no natural gas available, my best replacment option is the all electric/heat pump furnace setup. The best part is, it frees up my central downstairs chimney which I've already had properly lined for a woodburner.

My house is a 2750ft 2 story with full basement. I'm wanting to put a freestanding stove down there similar to my Buck 74 in the living room. Hunting for a Fisher Momma Bear or a Brunco Spitfire because I know these would fit well, provide the heat I'd like, and cost around 250-500. I'd love to put in a woodstock cat stove, but after the new furnace, funds are tight.

Any other recommendations on a cheap, mid size, basement stove??

2. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

One problem I face is the oil left in the underground oil tank. How to pump it out, what to put it in, and how to get rid of it.

Somewhere around 200 gal

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If you are the CL/FB type, post an add for the oil. I see those now and then and someone would probably come get it for a deal.

I just installed a pre-owned England’s 38-3500 add on wood furnace and it heats our (I believe just over 1700 sq.fr) with ease! In fact it’s been a learning curve on how to burn slower.

mat60 and Born2Burn like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Here they come get it and pay you about half market rate

so if HHO IS 2.25 they will offer you a $1 a gallon

5. billb3

billb3

You must have a really good residential heating use rate on electricity.
    Electric is prohibitive here. You really don't see it used in homes but lots of apartments do.

Pumping the tank out is rather straighforward. A lot of the oil delivery guys here either have a truck of their own to salvage the oil with . They usually want to charge for the service as no one wants the oil except maybe someone with a waste oil burner permit. Sometimes it's the same guys that filter and clean commercial vessel diesel fuel and/or the tanks.
    Do you have to remove the tank and then have an EPA approved soil test from under it to prove the tank didn't leak ?
    They're getting rather picky around here.

MikeInMa and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  6. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Yes, here in Northeast Ohio, we have a pretty good rate currently. I went from an average electric bill of approximately $135 (ALL electric house - stove, hot water, dryer, well pump) to around $175 when heat or AC are running - depends on if it is extremely cold or hot obviously. BUT I was paying $135 plus approximately $200 per month on oil for OCT, NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR so you can see the savings is HUGE.

This post is older but I have since completed the oil tank pump out and removal. I had called around to some local places but everyone wanted to CHARGE ME to take my good oil off the property. Wasn't having it. After looking into it, my Father In-Law (who burns oil) had a perfect little transfer pump and we got a 275 gal IBC tote and moved all of our oil to his oil take 10 miles away PLUS he filled all his tractors up and still had some left over. I'm happy, he's happy, everything good.

Then, I took the kubota and dug out the tank. It was huge. Cut it up and scrapped it.

billb3, MikeInMa, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  7. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Here's my oil tank I dug out. 550 gallons. The tank was only about 6 years old and I expected it to be in excellent shape. My plan was to try and sell for cheap.

Turns out. It was rusted through! I don't think it was leaking yet, but once I disturbed it and beat it around a bit it started leaking. Scrap it is!!

Attached Files:

8. billb3

billb3

Good that you got that tank out of there. A leak becomes a mini-hazardous waste site here. Even a leak in a basement tank can become a bureaucratical nightmare around here with certifiable testing and re-testing and hopefully no soil removal and treatment. Potentially Big $$$$$. I don't think a homeowner can even put a tank in the ground any more and even outside has to have a containment pan under it - plus oil outside in the Winter can be problematic.
    I've stuck with oil though. For heat and hot water. Hot water costs me $16/month in the Summer (using $2.50/gallon as a fuel cost, I paid $1.14 last Summer), possibly a little less in the Winter with the boiler also making heat. I don't need to cheat the numbers to sell me on it. I consider it $16 a month year round and tough to beat here unless you go solar hydronic or electric, with solar electric the most common these days.
    10 year ago decision for me for oil, today I would probably go solar electric for hot water.
    Small house, Small wood stove to keep the heat costs down in the Winter.

Born2Burn likes this.