In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New construction, 2 yrs out. Insert help

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Sep 23, 2019.

1. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Hello all! My wife and I are in the beginning stages of a home build in NH, sometime around the spring of 21’. Of course a big part of the project for me is to have a wood stove and continue what I love to do.
    However, like with any project, there are sacrifices and finding middle ground to appease both homeowners.

This is a single floor home plan to accommodate us getting older (someday).
    The main living area has a design for a gas insert, which I plan to change to wood burning. My wife enjoys the aesthetic appeal of a fireplace, which does nothing for the reasons why I burn wood. So as of now I’m looking for a wood burning insert that will get me some decent burn times and heat about 2200 sq ft. Kind of like I do now.

On days she would like to enjoy the crackling fire and everything she enjoys it for I’ll just leave the door open. All the other times it will be business as usual for me.

Can you folks give me some tips on stoves that will do everything We need. I’m really going to miss my WS IS.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

3. Highbeam

Highbeam

Wood burning insert or like a zero clearance wood burning fireplace? I expect that you won’t be able to use an insert without an existing masonry fireplace so zc fireplace is what you want.

4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I’m really not well versed with fireplaces and inserts not to mention new construction and still wanting a woodstove.

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

With a zero clearance insert, you can literally build a wood frame to finish as you wish, as opposed to a traditional insert, which would require a masonry fireplace.
    Scotty O’s Napoleon is a zero clearance IIRC.

6. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, a zero clearance will be great for a new construction. Inserts, like I have in my existing former open fireplace, work great, but if you are building new, then you can add a zero clearance.

If I were you, I'd put in a Napoleon NZ 3000. I think that's the one Scotty Overkill has. That is the best of both worlds. If your wife is like mine, and it sounds like she is, she'd love the look, and you'd love the efficiency.
    Screenshot_20190923-183623~2.png

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If you want the fireplace look, I'd go with an interior (central) masonry fireplace with a large opening, then you can put any old stove in it...insert style or not...really opens up your options.
    You will not "lose" heat to the masonry being interior...and once that stone is warm, it will continue to heat the house for hours :yes:

RGrant, savemoney, Fanatical1 and 9 others like this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam

I just can’t get behind building a traditional masonry fireplace anymore. Especially with the intent of shoving an insert into it. The zc fireplaces are dang good and so are the freestanding stoves.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah, me personally, I think I would have a hard time getting past the simplicity and cost savings of going with a free stander...

11. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have nothing to add, but congrats on your escape from the peoples republic of Massachusetts!

Enjoy NH, and dont Mass it up!

12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Congrats on the new home build in NH!!

Just adding onto what was already mentioned. Being its new construction it's really hard to pass up altering the layout for a free standing wood burning stove for the overall efficiency and generally longer burn times like you are use to now. Me personally I just love that look.

But I understand both need to be pleased so a happy medium would be to modify for a zero clearance, very nice look. If that still just not an option there are plenty of inserts out there with large viewing windows and longer burn times.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Best of luck to you on the new home. I too would be hard pressed on getting rid of that Woodstock stove. Especially when it comes time to pay the heating bills.

14. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

Were I in your shoes I'd check out a used Jotul F500 or F600. They seem to come up for sale fairly often in the NorthEast. You can open the doors and have a fireplace when you want. I have a double-door F400 that I sometimes use with the doors open. But it won't heat 2,200 sq. ft. It does OK in my (new construction/heavily insulated) 1,500 sq. ft. house.

15. blacktail

blacktail

An insert is a solution for the problem of a masonry fireplace. Building a fireplace just to add an insert makes no sense. That would be paying for something that doesn't work so that you can spend more money to fix it.

16. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Things stove related went on the back burner for awhile. The construction details and land purchase are in the mix right now.

I’m heading north this weekend and I’m stopping at 2 stove shops. Woodmans and a place in Intervale. Napoleon does make a nice stove, but it’s nearly 2x the cost of an WS IS, which is a much better stove with respect to performance numbers.

Eric VW, fishingpol, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  17. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

How have you been, Darrin? Long time no see!

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

X2!

19. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Hey Scotty, all is good. It’s amazing how life just takes over sometimes. I’m bouncing back and forth on FHC. This place has the best resources, it’s hard not to come here for the right answers. I hope all is well with you and your family

20. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

To my future northern NH neighbors. Does anyone have any good experiences with Woodmans or the Intervale Stove Shop? I’ll be visiting both this Friday.

savemoney, Chaz and Eric VW like this.