In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New 1 room addition

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by fuelrod, Nov 20, 2016.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

We decided to put a room on our little house. It will be a place for out kids to stay when they visit as well as a "workroom" for my wife's projects & crafts. It's 14' square and just off our "boiler" room on the rear of the house, turned down slab with radiant heat like the rest of the house. To avoid traditional 4' frost walls and footers, I'm doing what is sometimes called FPSF or "frost protected shallow foundation" where you put down 2" of xps insulation extending a few feet out beyond the foundation to prevent the formation of frost under the slab's thickened edges. I'll let the pics talk.

Notice the overdig, the painted line is where the room ends and the rest of the space is where the insulation is going to the frost from getting under the wall.

DSCN8281.JPG
    I used the foam as part of the form work. The concrete block was just dry stacked and packed full of crushed stone to form the interior form & support the insulation
    DSCN8285.JPG
    Then 2.5" of iso foam for under the slab. This is used material and should have a "R" value of about 16, very important with in slab radiant DSCN8297.JPG
    Then plastic sheeting, rebar & wire and the radiant tubing, AND crossing my fingers hoping the forms are strong enough. DSCN8309.JPG DSCN8306.JPG
    Add concrete
    DSCN8321.JPG DSCN8330.JPG

It turned out very well and I may have just got this in in time before the weather get's to where concrete work is real tough. The forms held straight and we didn't need to add calcium to the mix. My concrete guy put a good hard smooth finish on it or "burned" it. This will be the finished floor like the other floors in the house.
    I did strip the forms and I'll backfill it, but I'm not sure what I'll get to for framing this winter as my firewood working has been….. really nothing yet this season. This years wood and then some is already to go.

2. papadave

papadave

Very nice, but I'm wondering why 2 loops in such a small room.
    How deep is the slab, and same question for the perimeter?
    Wife and I have been talking about doing a small addition off our living room, but haven't pulled the trigger, so I'm being nosy.
    Love this kind of stuff.
    Do you plan to open up that window for a door?
    ETA: looks like you put a nice little slope away from the "foundation" with the foam too. Gooder.

Eric VW likes this.
  3. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yes Dave, the window will become the door. I just used 2 "loops" because I have areas in the existing house where the outside perimeter is a little chilly on the toesie's. But I didn't do as thorough a job on the wall insulation either. (was worried that the perimeter loops would steal all the heat out of a longer, single loop)
    The slab is 5" and the turned down edges are 2', leaving about 20" below grade.

Eric VW and papadave like this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Ok, that makes sense, but with all that foam board, you should be in great shape.

Eric VW likes this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

looks good fuelrod ... I am not aware of this type of frost protection.. but I do like the idea of radiant floor.. how do you check for leaks which I am sure you want to do before you pour the concrete

6. papadave

papadave

We've pressurized with air. If it holds, gooder.
    Inspector required here.

Eric VW and Canadian border VT like this.
  7. fuelrod

fuelrod

Like Dave said, I looped all the ends together and put 60 psi in it with a gauge and monitor it during the pour. That pex is pretty sough stuff.
    Google that "frost protected shallow foundation" in image's. It's new to me but it seems that it's not all that new of an idea.

8. schlot

schlot

What's really important with the shallow frost free foundation is that the insulation keeps its integrity and not be penetrated.

Eric VW, papadave and savemoney like this.
  9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Interesting project. thanks for posting the pictures. We don't have those considerations here for frost protection.

Eric VW, campinspecter and papadave like this.
  10. papadave

papadave

fuelrod , any updates for us on your room?

Eric VW and milleo like this.
  11. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

12. fuelrod

fuelrod

I got it backfilled and covered with hay & plastic for the winter, or late winter?? I really have been neglecting gettin to the wood pile. I just started my wood boiler today and that will help motivate me to get busy making future btu's.
    I really hadn't planned on fighting winter on this project (with opening up walls on the house) and my goal was to sneak the foundation in so it will be ready to go with better weather.
    Don't worry, I'll re post when there is something to show, but for now that will hopefully be posting some progress in the "wood pile":thumbs:

Eric VW, milleo, Woodwidow and 2 others like this.
  13. fuelrod

fuelrod

Back at it. This was when I "unwrapped it" after the winter. DSCN8735.JPG

The first floor walls
    DSCN8764.JPG

We decided to make it 2 floors, expanding the bedroom. I'm using all rough sawn full dimension lumber because I like how "beefy" it is, and it allows me to stuff a lot of insulation it the walls. I'm using poly/iso foam and will end up with 4" in the walls and about 6" in the ceiling if I can work it out matching the existing roof line. The walls should end up with an "R" value of about 41, and I'm not sure on the roof yet.

These 6X8 timbers are for the floor. We like the timber - barn look, it will get 3/4" pine ship lap that will be the ceiling, with a 2X6 t&g directly on top of the pine for the floor. That get's painted. DSCN8767.JPG

DSCN8771.JPG

14. papadave

papadave

Thanks for the update fuelrod . Lookin' good.

raybonz, Eric VW, yooperdave and 2 others like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

Looks like you have quite the project going there - looks good!

Eric VW and raybonz like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

looks real good fuelrod... I like beefy beams.. in my mind too many skimp on structure ... and put in pretty.. dumb way to build a house IMO

17. Loon

Loon

That's gonna be one warm room for sure .:yes:

Never seen a backwards dump truck before?:salute:

18. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Can't beat real timbers.

What type of wood ya using?

19. fuelrod

fuelrod

Hemlock, lot's of it around here. Got a few or the floor beams in today after finally finding some good 8" fasteners. I'm partial to the new structural screws over old time lag bolts. I've had too many of them break or shear off while installing them.
    DSCN8773.JPG

I was worried about them "moving" as they dry. This is the north side and only gets sun until about lunchtime, but being green I wanted them screwed and braced as they are surprisingly "true" right now.

20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I like the method to get the beams up there. Way easier than lifting and sliding them.

Eric VW, bogieb and campinspecter like this.