In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Never to late to be Thankful

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nordic Splitter, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

I know this kind of a post maybe a little late in coming.....But from what I can see from my fellow wood burners...It was another warm and most of all SAFE YEAR BURNING...You always hear of that one stack fire that came out of know where and got out of control quick.. Glad nothing like that has happened here at least not that I know of..Never take safety up-keep and maintenance of the stove for granted....You can have 30+ yrs, and a million perfect fires........it just takes that one.....My son asked me one time why I am so anal about checking the stove in the winter when I go to work in the morning......I told him so I can have a house to come home to in the evening...:)

2. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Just to piggy back on the original post...Its a good Idea to be ready for an emergency just in case....Extinguishes chimney fires in seconds. Safe, quick, and easy to use. Great for use in fireplaces or wood-burning heaters. Used by professional firefighters nationwide. Zinc dust, sulfur, potassium nitrate. Chimfex is accepted by the CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America). chimfex.jpg

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

100% agreed. I'm the type of guy that'll take my safety glasses off at work whenever I get the chance, but when it comes to having a controlled burn indoors, I like having them staying controlled.

T.Jeff Veal, Screwloose, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I dont need one of those as i dont burn pine!:rofl: :lol:
    All kidding aside, some great advice and words to live by for burners!
    Hoard safe and burn safe my fellow hoarders!

T.Jeff Veal, Screwloose, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’ve never used one and hope I will never have to but is there anyone on this site that can vouch this works?

T.Jeff Veal, Screwloose, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That's what I was wondering myself. For the 20 some odd bucks it costs, I went ahead and ordered it. Cheap insurance on top of having a fire extinguisher.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

An insurance plan is good, keeping the wood dry is better, and burning it when its dry is best. Most on here will say, “As long as your wood is dry, you’ll never have to use that extinguisher and likely just to clean the pipe every year“. Some do this in the middle of December, but only if it’s necessary. Most would have snow on their roof then....

8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Great stuff Nordic Splitter ! I am very anal about safety as well, everyone should be! I am newer to burning wood so I try to be extra careful. I have 3 little ones at home as well. Before each burning season (well shoot I've only had 2 :rofl: :lol:) I get my wife and my two older kids, review safety escape routes depending on which level of the home your on, where to go/meet after we exit home, review extinguisher locations, review phone locations, calling 911, check/test all fire alarms and of course I clean out the liner before each burning season. My wife and I have a plan of who is getting which child as well. If they retain only fraction of what we discuss, hey it's better than nothing. Kids are like sponges, they know the plan well, probably better than my wife, LOL!

That sounds like a hell of an insurance plan and something I'll be looking into for sure, thanks for sharing.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We keep several fire extinguishers on hand. Also keep track of the chimney and burn good dry wood. There are also some fire alarms in the house.

10. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

In reality the way I discovered those Chimfex sticks is a buddy of mine at work is a volunteer first responder with the fire dept. He says they have at least 3 or 4 of them in the trucks at all times...He said they really are amazing and work fast...:)

11. Warner

Warner

I have heard throwing wet newspaper in the stove in the event of a chimney fire will put it out. I hope I never find out.

T.Jeff Veal, brenndatomu and Chaz like this.