In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need stovepipe installation on a raised ridge steel roof advice

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Holland Dell, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Greeting FHC DIY'rs,
    I am contemplating my own installion of a stovepipe on a raised ridge steel roof. 6/12 pitch, 3 feet in from the soffet edge, cathedral ceiling. What do I need to know to do this myself or to be on my game if I opt for an installer to complete the task? I've never worked with a steel roof. Stove template is on the floor. When I get this figured out, I will have list of questions regarding stove selection. I am currently considering the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 Classic.
    Thanks in advance,
    Holland Dell
    20200124_140233 (2).jpg

Horkn, Thor, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  2. BHoller

BHoller

The easiest thing to do is get metal roof flashing for it. Excel and ventis both have them and they come with instructions. I usually cut in regular flashing but it is a bit more complicated

Horkn, Thor, Slocum and 2 others like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Have any pics of how you usually do it?

Horkn, Chaz, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  4. Slocum

Slocum

I’m not sure if you have checked but my insurance company is only good with me having a wood stove as long as a certified chimney sweep installs everything.

Horkn, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I just recently switched ins company's...the new one wanted to know who installed my wood furnace...I said I did...in a professional manner.
    They just wanted CTC measurements and a few pics...we were good to go.

Horkn, fox9988, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  6. Slocum

Slocum

I’m glad that worked out for you. I don’t think it’s a bad idea for him to check.

fox9988, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Thanks for the heads up. Everything is good to go if I do the install. I checked with them again. Fortunately, 20 years ago I was able to build the house myself (plumbing, electric, foundation, HVAC and fireplace) and I still have the same insurance company. They never asked any questions then and in my township there were no permits required except septic/well. I think I got lucky as times have certainly changed. I'm assuming the price of installation will be reasonable compared to me being on the roof. Probably just have an installer handle it all.
    In 2010 I had the roof replaced with steel due to storm damage and decided at that time to remove the gas/wood fireplace that I hardly used. Now life is starting to settle down so I can burn a little wood again. The gas/wood unit never had wood burned in it and I only used the gas fireplace around the holidays when guest were at my house (10 years). I just never really cared for the gas fire, so didn't use it. Now I have the unit sitting in storage and need to find someone to take it off my hands. All the piping, log set and everything is still there. Sure wish it was gone. If somebody wants it, give me shout and come and get it.

fox9988, Chaz and Slocum like this.
  8. coreboy83

coreboy83

After many hours, days & weeks of consideration we decided to get the T5 stove. We wanted something that will be a reliable unit while looking classic yet unique at the same time. Easy to run and maintain. Our Dealer in MN is doing our install, including an insulated liner up our 19' masonry chimney.

Horkn, fox9988, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  9. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

T
    Thanks again coreboy83. I still have your information via our PM conversation. I was doing some research recently and a contractor was telling me I had to pull up my steel roof to do a "proper" installation. I just wasn't buying his advice so I thought I would check out what others have done. The T5 is getting some pretty good endorsements. I think you made a good choice. My only apprehension is the T5 doesn't have an optional side load capability. That will probably be one of my next questions for our group.

brenndatomu, coreboy83 and Chaz like this.
  10. BHoller

BHoller

Pulling up the metal wouldn't really help at all.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam

You don’t need a side load door when the stove is designed to load wood straight in from the front like the t5. This stove has a great reputation.

coreboy83 likes this.
  12. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Thanks BHoller. When I was told that, it sounded goofy. He was rather insistant it was the only solution...."for his guys." Once I saw the Excel flashing, I knew the installer was just padding his bill. Later I was told he's a local carpenter (that does installs occassionally) sent to me by a local fireplace shop. The fact that he told me he could do it right away was also a red flag as most carpenters in our area are booked 4-6 months out.

BHoller and coreboy83 like this.
  13. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Thanks Highbeam,
    Agreed, both are not needed. I'm more curious if one (side, front or top) is preferred over the others by veteran hoarders? One of the stoves we considered has a front and side door application. Loading from the left side or front would be perfect for my stove location, but it seems redundant to have both.

coreboy83 likes this.
  14. fox9988

fox9988

I’ve owner both front and side loaders. No preference. But small front load stoves can burn longer wood if loaded east-west, with the possibility or the wood rolling out. I wouldn’t care for that. Side load avoids the issue.
    The stove design and door layout should compliment one another.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  15. Highbeam

Highbeam

So long as you can load straight in and not chuck logs in sideways! I had a hearthstone stove with side and front doors, only ever used the side door because loading straight in is really nice.

16. Rich L

Rich L

On my H1 I use the side door for ease of use.The Mansfield it's only front load which is best for North /South loading.No wood trying to roll out as when I go east/West.

Highbeam likes this.