In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need opinions on a saw I sold please

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by CoreyB, Dec 11, 2015.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB

I sold a used non running saw a bit over a month ago. Now the guy says it was not a fair deal and wants me to give him money.
    Back story. This was a an older saw (my first own saw) so like 20 years old. I used it about 5 years ago and it was left at my dad's shop sense I had no use at the time. I was city dwelling.
    The saw sat with the gas in it and was never prepend for storage.
    I tried to get the saw running this fall. Drained the gas put some lube in the cylinder let it sit. Put new spark plug in and soaked the carb real good with some seafoam. A few days go by, I pulled it over and then put some fuel in carb tried pulling it over and no go. I tried off and on for the next few days with no hint of a start other than I did get it to burp once. That was the extent of my mechanical abilities. Thinking that the carb was probably all gunked up.
    So decided to sell it. I pulled the muffler took this photo because I had seen some people ask for it on for sale posts.

20151023_215811.jpg

Now this gentleman got the saw a week after he got it contacted me saying he was not happy it did not have a spark.
    ??? I explained that it did before it shipped. Three weeks go by and he contacted me again this time says he did get intermediate spark after working on it but adds a blurry dark photo of similar perspective of above photo and says that the saw I sold him had a scored piston in the top half. I could not tell just because the photo was dark and blurry . He told me I was screwing him.
    Ok now I have no intention of screwing or taking advantage of anyone I also have no desire to be taken advantage of just because my mechanical ignorance.
    Is it possible for a piston to just score on the top? Is it possible that the piston in the photo I provided is actually scored.
    Did I do him bad and should I refund him? If so, some of the cost or all.
    Or do I just say to bad.
    Like I said I do not want to screw anyone.
    What would you do?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Non running, sold as is... it's his problem now.

3. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

If you sold it as "non running" ....
    Tell him to pound sand.

mdavlee, Allen Lee, thistle and 9 others like this.
  4. pantelis

pantelis

he know what he buy ??? yes END OF STORY

Allen Lee, thistle, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  5. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

In the pic above the cylinder looks okay to me. Its hard to tell without a look at the piston. As long as you sold it as is non running, I don't see how you screwed anybody.

If it was me I would explain that to him. After that if he persisted that I screwed him, I'd give him a big GFY.

6. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Pretty difficult to score a piston in a non-running saw. I also agree that you sold a non-running "for parts or repair" machine and it is what it is.

If it was the carb, he's out the cost of a repair kit and carb cleaner.

If it was in fact the coil, he's out the cost of the coil and nothing more.

If he ruined the top-end trying to get it to run (somehow.... :loco: :crazy:) then that's his problem, not yours. My guess is he threw a bunch of parts and four-letter words at it and now is out more $$ than he feels the saw is worth. Again, not your problem.

thistle, Moparmyway, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  7. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I guess I'm a bit of a softy, but I would offer that if he sends it back to you and pays the shipping, you will gladly refund his money. You sell it again and he gets his money back. Win win...

clemsonfor likes this.
  8. rottiman

rottiman

As the others have said, if it was sold as a "Non-Running" saw and he was aware of that...............then it is what it is.............my vote.........he owns it!!!!

thistle, Horkn, CoreyB and 3 others like this.
  9. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

As long as the ad said, non running, as is, unknown mechanical condition, or something similar, I would not worry. Just ignore him

thistle, Horkn, CoreyB and 2 others like this.
  10. Jon1270

Jon1270

Agreed; it really comes down to whether it was what you said it was. That's a little hard to parse since we don't know what you said in your ad or pre-sale conversations with the seller. You're responsible for what you said or clearly implied, but unfounded mistaken assumptions are the buyer's problem.

11. rburg

rburg

I have only bought one non running saw and I got enough parts off of it to justify the cost. If you sold a saw as a non runner, I believe you did your part.

thistle, Horkn and CoreyB like this.
  12. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Caveat Emptor.....................Let the Buyer Beware..........................Pound Sand

cus_deluxe, Horkn, CoreyB and 2 others like this.
  13. bushpilot

bushpilot

You are in the right. But, I am not sure what I would do, maybe I would return the money assuming return of the saw in the same condition. Maybe.

clemsonfor likes this.
  14. Sunfish

Sunfish

I've bought a few non running saws, most were a bit worse than I expected. But I would never think of trying to get a refund!

When a person buys a old, non running saw it is his and he has no right to request a refund.

mdavlee, cus_deluxe, thistle and 7 others like this.
  15. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Nah, now that the the buyer dicked with it its his.

mdavlee, cus_deluxe, thistle and 5 others like this.
  16. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Buyer beware! You did your part and told him it was a non- running saw. It's his saw and his problem. I wouldn't loose sleep over it and I certainly would not return the money.:BrianK:

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've bought plenty of things over the years knowing that there were a few things that were needing done for it to be right. Sometimes I gambled and won, sometimes I found out that I bought "a steaming pile"...but I would still never contact the PO about it unless it was very obvious that he/she covered up the problem and then represented it to me as being "good to go"
    I'm with everybody else, if you sold it as non running...then tell 'im "it's yours buddy"! Especially since he had it for a week to tinker with. He very well could have got it running and scored the cylinder himself

cnice_37, thistle, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  18. Locust Post

Locust Post

This makes it his saw....just like the disclaimers you see on things you buy that say if the product has been tampered with you cannot return it. Best thing for him to do is resell it as a non running saw if he doesn't like what he has or used it for parts. Tell him to put on his big boy pants and move on.

mdavlee, Moparmyway, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

If he was spraying carb cleaner into bit to try and get it to run he could of scratched the piston as he washed all the oil off of the top end.

I would not want a saw back that someone ewas mokeying with trying to get it to run cause there is a chance its worse than it was when you sold it. Enter supposed scratched piston

20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

So yes it is possible for just the "top" to be scored. But as others have said, after he messed with it for a while, I'd not consider taking it back. When ya buy a non-runner ya take the gamble.

DSC00802.JPG

mdavlee, Horkn and CoreyB like this.