In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need input

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Donny Price, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Donny Price

Donny Price

So I cook alot over indirect heat on my standard weber charcoal grill. Always use an aluminum pan filled with water in the bottom to create the steam that goes up into the meat Im cooking. In my area apple wood is always hard to come by to use in the smoker so Im thinking maybe putting apple juice in the pan instead of water to get the apple flavor into the meat. Has anyone tried this and if so how did it turn out and did it give you the apple flavoring in the meat.

2. MikeyB

MikeyB

I have tried the apple/juice in a pan while doing indirect on my firepit. Works pretty good. Also apple juice in a spray bottle and I buy apple chunks from the home depot as well.

3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I don't think much apple flavor is going to evaporate with the steam, and I don't think the steam "goes into" the meat, it just keeps a moist environment so the meat doesn't dry out, you'd probably be better off just using water in the pan and spritzing the meat with apple juice.

4. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

Water in the pan and spritz with apple juice if doing pork. If you are smoking beef spritz with water/ worceshire

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.