In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need a new one but I am cheap!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    My phone puked.:startled: Total China syndrome call an exorcist zero won't even turn on dead.:mad: I don't want to dump a ton on one. Mainly come here, text, FB and check weather maybe occasional video of grand kids or a you tube fix it video. Not a gamer or any of that other crap people do on them that everybody is addicted to and get run over in the street while catching imaginary friends. What do you suggest????? have only been an android person but open and am currently on straight talk unlimited. Give me a learnin and what it will cost.:makeitrain":headbang:

wildwest, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

iPhone 5s from Walmart.com, ~$100.... you won’t be disappointed....

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I may have to bite the bullet too. I only need a cheap flip phone but it is getting worst trying to get a signal out here. Others can get a weak signal and many times I can receive a test, notice of a voice mail or even a ring. But pick up the phone and there is no signal.

NortheastAl, Greenstick and Horkn like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

I am Android all the way for mobile devices and if that's what you're used to, I say stick with it.

5. Horkn

Horkn

While you could get an older iPhone or other older Android, you are better off getting a newer phone that is supported with new OS updates. That doesn't mean that you have to shell out 400+ dollars either. Great phones, ones that will do a billion times more than what you need them to do, can be had for $200 or less.

The question is this, how much do you want to spend? For 200 I've got a lot of great options on brand new, or very recently released phones. I think I could find great phones for near $100 if I had to.

I will say that I'm not a fan of apple products. They are overpriced for what you get.

6. HDRock

HDRock

I agree with all that.
    Last phone I got was 1 1/2 years ago was a hundred bucks Best Buy, 400 dollar phone, Samsung S7, great phone.
    Had a Samsung S5 before that, 50 bucks for that one.
    I don't use my phone for online much at all, I just don't like the little tiny screen, but when I do need it or want to use it online, I don't want a piece of crap.
    A large percentage of my online time is with one of my two Android tablets.
    A great time to get a good price on a good phone is around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    You could probably find a good deal on a Samsung S7 cuz now they have come out with the Samsung S8

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. Chris F

Chris F

I bought one of these a year ago and I'm very happy with it. great colors and big screen.
    Link didn't come through.
    It's a BLU android phone from Amazon, unlocked.

8. HDRock

HDRock

You have to be careful looking at phones now because a lot of them are showing a price that is on a payment by the month

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My S6 crashed a couple weeks ago.
    I liked it enough to request another...
    since I already had a case and spare tempered glass cover . ($70)
    It's beyond ridiculous how much they charge for accessories!

10. Chris F

Chris F

Yeah, if you go to their kiosks they'll screw you for sure. That's why I bought it outright from Amazon and then went to a local provider (Koodo) and pay by the month, no contract.

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Touché....but the 5s is current on IOS version....maybe not for much longer, but as of now, I’m same as iPhone 8....
    :handshake:

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

If you use a sim card type phone, you can get a very inexpensive prepaid phone at walmart or the like, just switch the sim card out.

13. billb3

billb3

You can get an SE for as little as $129 at Walmart if you use Straight Talk and elsewhere for a couple bucks more for some other carriers .
    If you have notch envy get the XOutOf10 APP.

14. Horkn

Horkn

I've heard good things about the BLU phones.

Now, I'd rather just pay $20-30 more and get the Moto e . $130 max price

15. Horkn

Horkn

As long as you are up to date on the OS, that's what matters. Hardware wise, sure, it will work. It's just a 4+ year old phone. If you can get them for 100, ( and can deal with an apple product) that's not a bad deal. I just see these still selling for $170. For that kind of money you can have a new phone with new hardware, and OS that can take advantage of the hardware. Like the Moto e4+. That phone has a battery that is twice the size of most, so it will last for days.

16. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, you are best buying the phone yourself, up front.

17. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

That's what I do any more. Buy a phone and kit it up at the vendor/provider then just do the pay as I go . Monthly , I get 6 gigs of 4G LTE , unlimited talk and text and No Roaming!! All for $45.00 per month.
    The fon I'm typing this on is an LG that cost a whole $79.00 in Wasilla. It's an AT&T Pre Paid ( formerly GoPhone) .
    It works great.

18. bogieb

bogieb

I bought my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5, thru Ebay as a "reconditioned" phone. I bought it probably 6 months after the S5 came out (I've had it a while) and it cost about 1/3-1/4 what a new one cost. I made sure I got one that is compatible with my carrier and bought from a well known seller who guaranteed that it was unlocked (ie, not stolen with someone else's ID still attached). Once I received the phone I went to the local carrier outlet and they put in their sim card and got it running on the cell phone # I've had since the late 90's.

19. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Ok........I'm clear as mud on this stuff. I have an S4 Galaxy. It apparently has a sim card that can be taken out if I understand right. If the sim card is taken out can it transfer bugs, viruses and herpes to the new phone I put it in? This OS is that in the sim card or another card in the inside? If I just order a replica Samsung Galaxy S4 factory unlocked, and throw in my sim card will I be ok or is this so out dated I am asking for trouble????????:hair: And would like to stay under $200.

20. bogieb

bogieb

I don't think you can just transfer sim cards. I believe the card is actually tied to the actual phone itself by the carrier - don't ask how, I just know that I could not use the sim card from my old phone (I did try). I had to get the carrier to put a new sim card in. My carrier did not charge me for the new sim and I didn't have to renew my contract or incur any additional charges YMMV.

Since it is unlikely you can just transfer the sim, you might as well get an updated phone (not necessarily the latest version, but newer than S4).

Chvymn99 and Backwoods Savage like this.