In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Nature Comfort NCB-250

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Nitrodave, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

good... bad ????
    Impressed with the owner and shop.
    He recommended the NCB -250. Based on 1300sq. Ft house, insulated crawl space for warm floors, hot water and 1000 sq shop.
    Do you think it would be too big if I don’t heat the shop yet ? It’s not ready for heat yet.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  2. CDF_USAF

CDF_USAF

That's probably pushing the too big range even with both buildings, I could be wrong but 300k BTUs seems excessive for a combined 2300 sqft. Not sure where you live, but too big of furnace equals to a smoldering mess that even you have to live next too.

Are you also planning to burn coal in it? Or is that the closest dealer?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  3. nsmaple

nsmaple

Their lit says that's a coal-only boiler.

It would likely burn wood - but not as well.

It is also way oversized for your space. As mentioned above, it will likely spend most of its time smoldering & wasting wood.

I have a hunch the dealer is pushing it, because he is having hard times getting rid of them - certainly doesn't seem it matches your needs. With all the new EPA stuff, I'm not even sure it's legal to sell? 'By the book', like.

If I was looking at OWBs, Heatmaster G series is what I would be looking at first. Based on what I've read about them.

4. Felter

Felter Banned

the government regulations on owb's just made them change the sticker from "wood burner" to "coal burner" (what you burn in it is your own business) I like to oversize my burner just for the fact that I can fill them less often. plus if I fill mine to the top it burns thru roughly 30 percent more wood. so they recommend filling them only 50 percent full. the btu size on owb's vary GREATLY based on type of wood and dryness of wood. 300k btu does not mean it can put out 300k btu 24 hours a day.

I personally think heatmor makes the longest lasting owb's. they have the most time before failure of any company I've found.

Nitrodave and brenndatomu like this.