In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My Thanksgiving Turkey -

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Joe P, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Joe P

Joe P

For Father's Day 2021, my wife bought me a masterbuilt charcoal grill. Took me a while to figure out how to grill on it well. This year, wife says, let's smoke the turkey this year..

My reply...

"How we gonna keep it lit?" (ba da bump!) (I'm hear all week, tip your waitresses)

I've never used the grill as a smoker, not sure how well it's gonna work, but I figure, what the heck. So I fire the grill up, get some soaked hickory chips ready, set it for 275° and let her rip.

About 1 hour into it...

2021112595120959.jpg
    6 hours later... (had to finish it at about 350.. was taking to long :) )

2021112595173414.jpg
    This grill has spoiled turkey for me. This was by far the best turkey I've ever had (or made). All turkeys going forward shall be smoked.

Now that I know the grill works wells as a smoker, I'm gonna try my hand a brisket.... <insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here> :)

EDIT: if the mods want to move this to the "what's on the grill/smoker thread" that's ok with me. I didn't see that thread right away...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. MikeyB

MikeyB

Nice work Joe. I hear a ton of good things about the Masterbuilt gravity series. There’s a bunch of you tube videos with this type of smoker.
    The Gallery Backyard bbq is one of them.

Eckie, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  3. woody5506

woody5506

Nice! I skipped out on smoking a turkey this year, but in years past I would do them on my Weber charcoal smoker with great results. One thing I'd say is never worry about going slow and low with poultry. I liked mine around 275 which is still semi low but if it gets over 300 there's really nothing wrong with that. Heck some pit masters insist on "hot and fast" smoking for everything, but in general it's widely accepted for poultry.

MikeyB, MikeInMa, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Looks outstanding! :drool:

Chaz and wildwest like this.
  5. Eckie

Eckie

That's a great looking bird. I've got the 1050. I haven't done a brisket yet, but have done some beef ribs pieces. Piece of advice, use a drip pan for fatty cuts, especially if you plan to turn the heat up. I cooked the beef ribs on 225 for a couple hours, put a meatloaf on with the ribs and turnd the heat up to 285. Shortly thereafter I had a full blown grease fire raging inferno. Rendered fat from ribs lit off either from the increase in heat, or the fan blew in some sparks. Either way, it was tight for a few minutes...

6. Joe P

Joe P

Yep, almost that exact episode happened to me the previous weekend. Cooking up a BUNCH of chicken thighs (pretty fatty). Was running low heat as they were thin. Put on some marinated chicken breasts, turned up the heat a little bit and walked away. Came back about 10 minutes later to grill putting out a lot of smoke, opened it up and WHOOSH!!!

"Son of a biscuit!!!" Managed to salvage most of it with some creative knife carving. Once everything was cooled down, I pulled the firebox out and cleaned everything out. Guess I should do that a little more often. But so far I'm LOVING this masterbuilt grill.

7. XXL

XXL

Looks great Joe! Did you brine your bird first?

8. Joe P

Joe P

I did not brine it. We did a marinade injection. Did another bird this past Saturday. Was about a 20 lb bird. For some reason, I didn't get nearly the smokey-ness as on the first one. Not sure what happened there, other than I soaked my wood chips longer in water than my thanksgiving bird. It's still tasty :) . Got another in the fridge thawing as I type this. Might have to try the brine soak this time.... :)

Eckie and XXL like this.