In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My new favorite fire starter...

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by KaptJaq, Jul 5, 2018.

1. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

IMG_2348.JPG

I have been traveling a little since I finished scrounging wood and came across these, waxed fiber with a match at the end. Break one off, strike it, & slip it into the wood.

I haven't seen anything like it near home.

KaptJaq

2. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I’ve been buying similar firestarters at WalMart. I still like Supercedars better- they last longer and smell good. Still, these work pretty well.

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nice find KaptJaq :yes:

Now if only they were like “strike anywhere” matches:thumbs:

4. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Ive used a similar product and find them very convenient but still like my cedars and fat wood better.

FatBoy85, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I still like supporting Super Cedars. Thomas has done a good job and I believe he would even support this forum if the mods decided to take on some advertising.

We've tried other fire starters too but still like the super cedars the best.

FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  6. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

I liked the original SuperCedars but recently they have been very crumbly. A whole one is pretty big and I usually use a half or quarter depending on the type of wood I am burning. In the past I could easily break them into halves or quarters. Now, when I try to cut them, I end up with a pile of dust/crumbs.

KaptJaq

FatBoy85, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For sure I would contact Thomas about this and I think he'll make it right for you.

FatBoy85 and Chaz like this.
  8. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

On my last order I specified the "hard" version but received the crumblier version. When I spoke to Thomas he explained he had some new equipment that they were still getting used to. He replaced the order and they were harder than the first batch but not as hard as the ones that were leftover from a couple of years ago.

I blame it on growing pains of a succesful company and am sure that, when I order again, the product will be closer to the density of my original order.

Don't get me wrong, he makes a great product. As long as you don't try to cut the current version, they light easily and quickly start the fire. Several of my friends use whole disks and have no idea why I was not happy.

KaptJaq

FatBoy85, Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.