In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MS 250 oiler problems?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by JW IN VA, Dec 11, 2019.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I was reading on another site about a guy who had been through three bars on his new MS 250 burning bars and tearing up chains.Folks there seemed to think the model had a lot of oiler issues.He listed the saw and sold it.
    My 250 has been flawless since I bought it.A little tight on the pull rope starting cold but I've had no issues.I've used it long enough to mostly wear out the original chain through sharpening.Never had an oil problem even with the 18" bar it came with.
    I'm thinking he got a bad one.
    What are your experiences?

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

I read that thread. I think it was operator error. The only problem i had with mine was a piece of dirt got stuck in the oil line. Compressed air took care of that. I used mine to cut cords and cords and cords of wood. I run the 3/8 picco chain with a 16" on mine.

3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Most problems with oilers I see are from clogging with a little care they are pretty much trouble free the 025-ms 250 are known for being hard to pull start that is the big complaint I hear about them, as far as someone burning up 3 bars there are many reasons poor oil quality,etc biggest problem is cutting with a dull chain and forceing the cut

MAF143, Stlshrk and M2theB like this.
  4. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Mine came with a .325 ,.063,18" bar.I expect the 3/8 LP does a great job if it's anything like some I've run.

MAF143 and M2theB like this.
  5. farmer steve

farmer steve

James Miller had .325 on his and ran mine. He switched his to 3/8p. He has bigger saws but He likes it.

MAF143, M2theB and James Miller like this.
  6. MAF143

MAF143

I have the 18" bar on my 250. It's almost two years old and I went through the original chain by hand sharpening. I've cut a lot of wood with it. Almost all hardwoods, Ash, Locust, Beech, Cherry, and Oak. I did a muffler mod on it and keep the chain sharp all the time. I've never had an issue with no or low oiling. It seems to have the oil tank almost empty when I run out of gas. I keep the bar cleaned out and flipped about every 4 tanks of gas. I touch up sharpen at least every other tank, but when I get in the locust it needs it more than that.

I've been very happy with this 250.

farmer steve and JW IN VA like this.
  7. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I always like to have some oil left in the tank when I am empty of gas.If the oiler is working right,you should.Sounds like you are as pleased with your 250 as I am with mine.
    My son and I were doing some skid road cleaning last week and both of us agreed it does better than it should for what it is.

MAF143 and farmer steve like this.