In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

more WS Ideal Steel questions

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dennish, Jun 28, 2021.

1. dennish

dennish

On my stove order, I did not get the ash pan or andirons because I do not have them on my current stove. I reasoned that one still needs to let the fire extinguish before emptying the AP. I wonder what the advantage is. Also, I wonder how the ashes can drop down without reducing the effectiveness of the bottom fire brick. Also, don't the andirons become a pain by getting in the way of adding wood? I'm asking because I can still add these if they are worthwhile.

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Get the ash pan no doubt! My andirons I got them just pop out anyway. Love Woodstock ash pan because it works and is easy!!

Stephiedoll, RGrant, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  3. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Ash pan is the best. I got two!!! The andirons can save the glass should a stray log roll into it. Mine are a little too big but the other designs might work well. The andirons actually can be pulled forward (horizontal) to allow for loading.

A great advantage is you can keep the stove running and still take out the ashes with the pan. You will want to get some sort of ash rake to coax the ashes into the pan - there is a grate in the middle of the bottom. Most of the heat is coming from the glass or the catalytic coverter.

4. billb3

billb3

If you're one of those that doesn't like a log against the glass, be it because it rolled forwards while burning or becausee you really want to stuff the stove full or one of those that the temporary black stain on the glass will drive bonkers, the andirons might be worth it. The andirons might help the glass wash work fully with a stuffed stove too.

To a certain extent the ashes in the ash pan help with the small area of missing firebrick. If you have an ash pan, you either get in the habit of dealing with a small amount of ashes more often or just resort to the proverbial shoveling out. Kinda becomes a preference choice.
    Kinda like keeping up with pool chemicals and cleanliness. A little bit of time and effort every day staying on top of it or a bit of a chore every weekend playing catch up.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We are picking up second one before winter:yes:

6. dennish

dennish

Thanks for all of the input. To belabor the point, I'm sure one has to let the fire die way down in order to rake the coals and push the completely coals down the grate. What am I missing?

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Before you refill the stove in the morning, Quick rake put it down the ash pan grate and after three or four days it’s full. Ash pan is located in separate drawer under fire box

8. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

In my Jotul, the stuff that needs to drop down, does of its own accord. Hot or not we empty the ash pan 1 x day when we burn 24/7.
    We used to rake it out good before emptying, but there is wisdom in leaving a bed of coals and ash in there...not much more than an inch or two though.

Essentially, we can toss excess ash without disturbing a burn cycle, or waiting for things to cool enough to de-ash the stove...a nice feature in cold months. That said, we only empty the pan in the morning, when a little extra air from the bottom won't cause issues, and when the pan isn't stupid hot to handle.

Sca

9. fox9988

fox9988

Definitely get the ash pan. Unlike every other ash pan I’ve used, Woodstock’s is great.

10. Slocum

Slocum

I don’t use my andirons, I load 16” splits north south. But the ash pan is a must. I load my stove twice a day. Before each load I rake some ashes to the grate over the ash pan. Depending on what kind of wood I’m burning determines how often I dump my pan. It’s a great design, you can’t over fill it, when the ashes stop dropping through the grate the pan is full. I hope you enjoy your IS

11. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

We burn 24/7 throughout the winter. Depending on the type of wood, it will usually coal and ash up after a good long while. We may load before bed at 9pm, then in the morning, maybe a small load or two during the day. We just wait till our next reload. Sometimes we rake the ashes down every couple of days or every few days. Once you are well into the coaling stage, there isn't any more smoke. I open the door all the way, tip the andirons down, and rake the coals and ash into the ashpan. The coals don't go through the grate but the ashes do. We will empty the ash pan dependent on use every couple days to once a month....

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Get the ash pan! It saves so much time!

(You cannot add it later)

13. dennish

dennish

Thanks all! I'm gonna get the AP because your advice and input. My current stove has a worthless AP, so my judgement has been tainted. Will continue to ponder the andirons because I mostly load north south.

RGrant, Chaz, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

N/S is ok on the lower part of the firebox, but with the slope of the top toward the back you end up loading the last pieces E/W which lets the pieces roll into the glass....
    The andirons are worth it.

15. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I would advise getting andirons. They are removable.

16. fire_man

fire_man

I felt so strongly about having an ashpan that I sold my Fireview and replaced it with the Palladian. Although some stoves have lousy Ashpans, Woodstock knows how to do it right.

17. RGrant

RGrant

Glad I'm jumping in more than 2 months later, but I use the ash pan and cannot recall extinguishing the fire to remove it and empty it. Quick work and empty it in a steel ash receptacle out side.
    I don't time myself because I'd rather be careful than fast, but it really can't be anything more than a 3 minute job.
    Now this has me thinking I can get a second ash pan to swap them out and then it's like a 10 second gap in time.

18. moresnow

moresnow

Gotta get on the 2 ash pan program. It's in the sticky's:D