In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Monster Buck

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by WildWildWest, Feb 21, 2016.

1. WildWildWest

WildWildWest

I thought I would share this with the hunters. My great grandfather (Nono) shot this buck in the 30's. It is actually a Blacktail, it has never been scored and viewed by few. I'm not saying there are not any Mule deer genes in this buck, that would take a genetics test, but my great grandfather killed more deer than anyone I know and he knew deer. In any case, IMG951831.jpg its a record book non-typical. The outside spread is 42" and it is 6x6.

reelcrzy, milleo, unclefess and 5 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Beautiful!

wildwest and Beetle-Kill like this.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Coastal Blacktail?? That is the biggest Blacktail I've ever seen, what a monster!!
    Randolph Hearst had a bunch of Mule deer imported to the castle, a bunch got away. I've seen the later generations, big bodies but small racks. All in the Los Padres on the coast.
    You should get that thing checked out, it's gotta be world class.

Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  4. WildWildWest

WildWildWest

It's a Sierra Blacktail buck, the Blacktails inhabit the west sierras and there are Nevada Mule on the other side. So hard to say what it is other than Nono sweated it was a blacktail

Beetle-Kill, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  5. WildWildWest

WildWildWest

Nono did tons of taxidermy work for himself only, the story goes as that buck was so large it was not going to get away, so the 300 savage semi-auto cut loose and Nono damaged the cape. Nono could not find a blacktail cape to fit this beast and acquired a Mule deer cape to mount the deer. When I was a kid there were at least 100 cured capes available on the ranch. So the only way to verify spieces of this animal would be a scull bone DNA test

wildwest, Beetle-Kill and Eric VW like this.
  6. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Gotcha. I've seen whoppers come out of the hills up North, from Chico to Susanville, but nothing as big as yours. Really, really great buck!

wildwest likes this.
  7. swags

swags Moderator

Wow I've never hunted black tail but watched a decent bit on the outdoor channel. That's a giant for sure