In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Money will roll right in

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Chud, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud

I posted in Brads April fool thread that I sold a load of firewood yesterday. I have never sold firewood in April, but I think things are about to change. I got another call today from a guy saying he heard I was the man for firewood in Winston Salem. I pause for a moment and say sure. He says he has a new fire pit and wants to use it this weekend. The guy lives in a high end neighborhood, so this could lead to an extended selling season for fire pit$. I had a stack of rtb ash fall yesterday, so I can toss some of it into my trunk instead of restacking.

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Fire pit wood is pickup only here. Not worth my time for small amounts. People got into burning last year with the lockdown and I expect it to carryover into this summer.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’d be tempted to barter wood for some awesome Que. :grizz:

4. Chud

Chud

I’ll take the money and buy more :saw:

5. Chud

Chud

It’s pickup truck load only for delivery. I make more for my wood by the pickup load than cord sellers are getting around here.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I finally sold to the far out of towner yesterday. Half cord of mixed "lesser quality" seasoned 16" splits. My wholesale bundles have been crazy with Covid.

If youve got the dry wood and its why not!:makeitrain"

7. Smaug

Smaug

Hi CHUD.
    The 'weekenders' are starting to show up around here again.

Whenever they see me bringing back a load of wood from my latest 'scrounging' they always ask if I'm selling it.
    Some day I'll say yes, but right now I'm too busy getting my own stacks ready for next winter.

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice brother. We sell a few loads during the spring/summer for firepits and cooking

9. Chud

Chud

Keep on getting it and you will be in a position to sell to the vacationers. I started out just trying to make enough to keep my house warm and the stacks got bigger and people could see them from the road.

10. Ron T

Ron T

What are you charging for a truck load of fire pit wood?

11. Ron T

Ron T

How are you bundling Brad?

12. farmer steve

farmer steve

Don't really sell truckloads. For fire pit wood I try and sell ash and or maple. I put it in bins which is a 1/4 cord +/-. They haul. But I will sell what ever they want. Trunkload , minivan or frontseat full. :eek:
    This is the bins I sell.
    20201010_122049.jpg

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My homemade bundling jig made of some scrap boards. Stack splits (6-9pcs) to the top and wrap. No machine. Hardest part is unrolling the big roll of plastic and rerolling to make precut pieces. I do that on our ironing board of all places! Hey it works! LOL!!! No handles, just tightly wrapped. Have to make bundles up later so ill post some pics

14. farmer steve

farmer steve

Charging $60 for bins.

15. Chud

Chud

I don’t have any fire pit specific wood. It will give me a reason to process a huge loblolly laying in my backyard.
    I figure anything that will look nice stacked on their terrace and light and burn easily will do.
    Imo all wood uses the same resources and labor to process. Pretty fire in the pit on the terrace is as valuable to them as pretty fire in the fireplace. $75 for a tacoma load delivered

16. farmer steve

farmer steve

Yep on the same work involved . They don't get oak for the Fire pit unless they want to shell out big bucks.

17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I've never tried to sell firewood and there are already plenty of people around who sell the firewood bundles to the tourists. With that being said, this past winter I had someone local ask if they could purchase firepit wood from me since they don't have the time or equipment to get their own. They offered $100 for one of my pallet bins full of hardwood uglies and they picked it up themselves (I did help them load it). They were thrilled, I was pleased and we made an agreement that I will supply them with at least one of these a season. They don't care what the wood is as long as it is dry.

20200808_142136.jpg

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice! Good feeling for sure! I have found customers are thrilled with wood that is dry. Ive heard all the horror stories of the unseasoned stuff theyve bought in the past.

Ive got plenty of nuglies if you need more. One of the downfalls of scrounging precut/roadside wood. I have one customer who buys a cord of them in early and mid Winter taking half cord at a time. Id like to get another customer as i generate more than i can sell.

19. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

It's unfortunate how many people sell 'seasoned' wood that is fresh cut and take advantage of those who don't know any better.

Need more uglies?? :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

I'm also 100% on the scrounging side, and I cut a lot of beech, so I have more than enough uglies (but thanks for the offer) :salute:. This will work out well since the customer has no issues with purchasing the uglies and they also like softwoods (I seldom cut any softwoods however I do get some pine and hemlock on my property once in a while from wind damage and they are more than happy to have those mixed in).

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

When did you get your 500i? I just noticed it in your signature line.

metalcuttr, farmer steve and EODMSgt like this.