In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mixed Messages on Chain Sharpening Aids

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Enzed Bill, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Hi All

This happened a couple of days ago, and I've been pondering it since but haven't been able to come to a conclusion.

I decided I wanted a stump vise so I went to a local (NZ) site to price them and while I was there I saw a contraption for mounting on the chain bar to aid sharpening. This was very intriguing to me because I hate sharpening chains and I'm not very good at it (and don't use my chainsaw enough to get a lot of practice). So I watched a couple of videos on these devices and one in particular that appeared to be the exact one for sale, and I was surprised at how flimsy and wobbly they seemed. The operator didn't even seem to be able to get good even stokes in with this thing. So much for that.

But you know how it is on youtube: one video leads to another - and I found myself watching a review by 'Wranglerstar' of the Stihl "2 in 1" sharpener. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but I've seen a few of his videos and find him generally credible.

Well, it was such a glowing review that I couldn't wait to get into the shops the next day to buy one. If you can't be bothered sitting through 15 minutes of video, what it boils down to is that he says it's foolproof, it sharpens better that he could do with a simple hand file (despite his considerable experience) and his chainsaw cuts quicker and smoother than it ever has.

But ... I was a little troubled. Early on in the video he remarks that the orientation angle on the handle doesn't seem to be right for his chain, so he ignores it. Later he says that the cut seems to be more aggressive than Stihl chains usually are (though he likes the result and doesn't find it bogging in the cut).

So, I read the comments below the video. The general consensus seems to be that he got his hands on the wrong model sharpener and was over sharpening his chain. This suggests to me that if I want the great results he got I should deliberately buy the wrong sharpener - not that I can do that, since I know neither the type of chain he has nor the model sharpener he tested.

More seriously, it implies that the results of buying the appropriate model for my chain (which of course I would do) may not lead to such a great result. Maybe no better than I'm getting with my manual kit.

They are not cheap here in NZ (nothing is really). Stihl agents are a closed shop and never discount, so I'd be looking at 65 NZD (about 48 USD at current exchange rates) which could be an expensive mistake.

Any opinions on this?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    clemsonfor and Hammy like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Would you care to post the link of said video? FHC consensus is worth quite a bit....:handshake:

clemsonfor and Hammy like this.
  3. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Click on the orange word "review" in the original post. Links are not very prominent in posts (I'll go back now and underline it).

Eric VW and Hammy like this.
  4. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I’m not sure if this part is true. I’ve been known to enjoy some of his videos too, but he’s often providing an “expert” review of something he’s just trying for the first time. I’d say what it actually shows is that sharpening chains is fairly forgiving of minor mistakes.

I know a few guys who use the 2-in-1 and really like it. And given that it sharpens the tooth and adjusts the raker at the same time, it’s a great choice for a beginner. But for the best results, you would want to select the model that’s correct for your chain. Otherwise, over time, your cutters will get more and more out of shape and won’t perform as well.

Using too large of a file would reduce the hook angle, giving a less aggressive cut, and reducing self feed. You could compensate by lowering the rakers, but what you’re likely to end up with is a grabby chain that isn’t as sharp as it could be. Too small a file, and you might not actually end up sharpening the tooth at all, missing the top edge.

5. Dancan

Dancan

I'm no "Expert" but I've been more than happy with the 2-in-1 sharpeners , I've used them for more than a couple of years and have them in all sizes to cover all my saw chains .
    All my friends that have tried them have bought their own .
    Look to see if you can find the pferd version , might be cheaper down there .

clemsonfor, Hammy and Ashwatcher like this.
  6. dall

dall

the stihl 3/8 chain uses a 13/64 file and the oregon chain uses a 7/32 file if you use the 13/64 on the oregon chain it is going to be a little grabby
    i have the 3 stihl recommends and the pferd version with the 7/32 oregon chain recommends it does make a difference
    the 7/32 file wont fit in the stihl 2n1

Dancan and Hammy like this.
  7. dall

dall

in his video he is trying to sharpen skip or semi skip and the 2n1 is not designed to do that it is for full comp chain only so he is probably letting it drop below where it should be and give the chain a hook on the top plate and taking the rakers down too far

i dont watch his videos because if he was in a rock pile he would fit right in

8. Hammy

Hammy

I couldn’t hand file a chain to save my life until I got one. I got the recommended sizes from my Stihl dealer and now I can do a decent job. They are quick and easy to use. Considering the Stihl dealer wants &15/chain to grind them $50 is a deal:). I am sure I could find someone to do it cheaper but I like doing stuff myself.

9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Give one a try and report back.
    One mistake I see guys make is not having enough files on hand.
    If you need a file , buy 3 . Nothing worse than trying to sharpen a chain with a dull file .
    Usually a round file will last a good amount of time. Half a chain or so. Unless the chain has been Rocked .

Wganglestar has a kind of a different spin on lots of things.
    I think he's a rich kid that lives in the country.
    If he actually Had to make a living with the woods and arb work he shows in his vids. I think he would starve.

10. Brian72

Brian72

They work very well. The file sizes are not inter-chageable so you have to be sure to get the correct setup for the chain you're running(3/8, .325, 3/8 lo-pro etc.)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

11. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I had the same issue on filing saws, so I finally learned (granted quite awhile ago now), that simple is just the best. My father, he is a gadget-guy, so he buys all kinds of contraptions, but I am a minimalist. To file a saw I need:

1. Proper File
    2. File Handle
    3. Raker File

WrangleStar is kind of a gimmick. All he is is a YouTube advertisement. He has enough of a following so that manufactures send him products and he does a video on them with just enough advice from the makers experts so that he appears to know what he is talking about. For instance he might make it seem his homestead needs a swale, but really what he is doing is promoting some companies grader blade. Now I have defended him comment wise in a few video's when it was warranted, and scoffed at him appropriately in others. He has a pretty sweet deal in what he does, and in some ways I am jealous...if I was to be honest with you. I wish I could farm here and have a following like he does. Katie and I live a pretty crazy life. But as my Grandfather always says, "Those that can...do. Those that cannot...teach."

Some of us farm/log for a living, and honestly we are so busy actually doing it, that we don't have time to make videos and live a YouTube lifestyle. heck,so many times I wish I could take pictures just to post on here, but I am too busy doing to even do that!

There is another saying though that comes to mind with WrangleStar, especially when it comes to things like building swales, building bridges, etc..."It is one thing to buffalo (BS) the Fans, quite another to buffalo (BS) the players."

tamarack, Hammy, Dancan and 3 others like this.
  12. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Thanks for all your replies.

I think the upshot is that the video is unhelpful and misleading.

As for Wranglerstar, he obviously polarises people. Any guy who puts "star" in his handle and tells people they shouldn't be calling part of their chain ("raker") what they've been calling it all their lives is going to seriously get up people's noses. It's no secret though why his videos are popular: the general standard on youtube for "how to" videos is so woeful that any reasonably well produced (focus, camera angles) and reasonably concise video is a breath of fresh air.

To go off on a rant for a moment: I have a slow connection with limited MB allowance each month and it's very frustrating to watch, say, a five minute video that:
    1. Has a long intro sequence: 50-60 seconds of the author's favourite song (not mine) combined with clips from his previous videos.
    2. Has a rambling "talking head" introduction composed entirely of the bleeding obvious combined with the irrelevant.
    3. Unedited long takes of lots of the same thing going on for minutes at a time.
    4. And lastly, heaven help us, a credit sequence at the end. For a youtube video! Back off there, Spielberg - save the thanks for when you accept your Oscar.
    All of this adds up to a minute of so of useful content, if that, in five minutes of blather. And it's hard to be sure that it's a complete waste of your time and MBs until you're well into it and realize it's not going to improve. End of rant.

So, it could be a good tool, and many people seem to say so. I haven't seen where anyone's saying it doesn't actually perform - just people saying you should learn to be an expert with a hand file. I see their point. But it's not a priority for me given how often I use the saw and the number of other things I'd like to learn in the time I have left on this earth.

13. dall

dall

just remember they are not meant for semi or full skip chain and you will be good to go and will improve your filing letting you get the feel for the angles you need to hold

14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Oregon 5/32-Inch Chain Saw Filing Guide 37534

This is what I use to teach new guys to file. It and a stump vise are great combos. You can use 2 hands on the file. It may not look like much, but with a sharp file they work Very well. You would need the correct one for the file size you use.
    But you can buy this, and the depth gauge filing tool and file AND a box of round files for less than the cost of the Stihl tool.

Moparmyway likes this.
  15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I think the biggest thing with learning to file today is that everyone makes it out to be a science. It is not really a big deal. A sharp chainsaw file can take off a considerable amount of tooth, so watch a few you tube videos, ask on here, and when your saw gets dull, file it as best you can.

Sharper than it was? Awesome...cut away.

Still kind of dull? No big deal, put the saw down and try again! Practice makes perfect.

My goodness, the saw chain makers etch the angle into each tooth which makes it super easy now to sharpen.

As for the rakers: take one stroke of the raker file across them every 3rd time you file your saw.

Cold Trigger Finger, Hammy and walt like this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I love my 2 in 1 Stihl sharpener.
    It's quick, easy, and fool proof.
    I was never good at sharpening, so it was a game changer!

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

18. Hammy

Hammy

This is pretty to the point if you start at 14 minutes.

I use a bench vice and 2 hands but what ever works for you.

19. JCMC

JCMC

I like the Granberg File-N-Joint to get things back in shape.
    20170127_160932.jpg 20170127_160951.jpg

Aje1967 and Hammy like this.
  20. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Thanks for the videos. Very interesting.

TurboDiesel likes this.