In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mini anvil identification?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Camber, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Camber

Camber

Could anyone out there maybe tell me about this tiny anvil. A retiring builder gave it to me today. He used it for many years for doing sheet metal work, and flashing. I can't find any makers marks
    upload_2022-4-21_22-5-47.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-21_22-7-0.jpeg

M2theB, Boogeyman, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  2. Camber

Camber

I guess we are all stumped. I'll take it off the stand and chunk it in a box . Too little to hammer snares together. I'll think of something one day.

M2theB, eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.
  3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Stupid question: Any chance that’s a homemade anvil? Almost looks like it was made from a section of railroad iron. I know, wrong type of metal, but it would probably work just fine for sheet metal. Are all those scalloped weight reduction cutouts cast or machined?

4. Camber

Camber

Not a stupid question. I thought the same, but when you look at it it is too small to be a cut off piece of railroad track. It does look that way at first glance. I actually have a chunk of railroad for beating stuff. The cut outs have indeed been machined and they are beveled inward also. Kind of a cute little thing. I don't do copper flashing much and have brakes for what I need. I won't throw it away or anything. Just don't want to end up using it for a drowning weight for beaver trapping or something stupid.

5. Meche_03

Meche_03

It might be light weight train track, or mine track, or a Crane rail. It's definitely a piece of rail of some sort. It's just a bit bigger than the rail from 18" and 24" gauge people or mule pushed mine carts. If the mine or brick yard had small diesel or steam engines then the rails were bigger.

eatonpcat, Camber and metalcuttr like this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I agree with this. I believe it is definitely home made and skillfully so from non standard gauge track or rail. Excellent score! Nice of the builder to think of you!

eatonpcat and Camber like this.
  7. Camber

Camber

Maybe so. I may be duped due to it be machined on the top and horn. The contractor friend of mine hasn't passed away yet. When I talk to him next, I'll pick his brain some more on it. It very well might not be that old. He only had it since the late 70's. I'm building a log cabin next, and I'll use it on the flashing for the upper deck. I've used a 2 inch ball crimped in a vise for years, I think a proper little anvil will be handier. Thanks fellas!

8. Camber

Camber

Just thought I would try to call him. So it is an actual anvil. He said it is a jewlers anvil. He bought it in Delaware from a jeweler that was going out of business. He mentioned that he even had much smaller ones than this. I'm no jewelry guy, but I'll use it. Never had any idea they needed an anvil, but I guess it makes sense now.

9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

My first thought was crane rail also...

I am poor, have no idea what a jeweler would make with an anvil...maybe Scotty Overkill needed a necklace!

10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I'd say it's definitely home made out of rail, and if so, would be a darn good little tool.

There are different size anvils for different trades, this one almost looks a little too big for a jeweler's anvil but it could be. I'd say more likely one .are many moons ago but a crafty guy just for his own specific needs.

Camber and metalcuttr like this.
  11. Camber

Camber

12. Camber

Camber

I just pulled it off the block. Are those stamps just somebody's shop maker's marks? Don't know if the side photos will help with maybe confirming if it is made out of a crane rail? I have no idea, but I appreciate everybody taking a look if they have a minute.

billb3, eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.