In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Milling Honey Locust

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by buZZsaw BRAD, May 17, 2022.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How stable is it after being cut? Have a score of it to cut and may save a few logs for the mill. I know its very rot resistant too.

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I would not agree with that statement.

buZZsaw BRAD and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

What I've found... if a log has lots of limb/crotch sections, you'll want to heavily top weigh and/or strap it. I've gotten lots of bow/twist/cup (and the kitchen sink) in those instances. If it's a nice straight clear log, I get less of those tendencies. But I still sticker stack and use cinder block to keep flat.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Cancel the milling. Tree service took all the wood on the ground including a couple of mill logs. I turned the spar into firewood.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I had thought i heard it on here somewhere. I googled HL and this was the description under "timber"

Timber[edit]
    [​IMG]
    Gleditsia triacanthosMHNT
    Honey locusts produce a high quality, durable wood that polishes well, but the tree does not grow in sufficient numbers to support a bulk industry. However, a niche market exists for honey locust furniture. It is also used for posts and rails because of the dense, rot-resistant nature of the wood. In the past, the hard thorns of the younger trees were used as nails and the wood itself was used to fashion treenails for shipbuilding.[citation needed]

I found a couple two year old rounds buried recently at storage and only the bark was loose and really little to no evidence of decay. Ground contact with no top cover either. Maybe the hybrids arent as rot resistant?

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thats a bummer!

7. chris

chris

Don't know about Honey locust being rot resistant but was always a term applied to Black Locust.