In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mill Advice

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Ralphie Boy, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Once again I'm thinking about purchasing a chainsaw mill, and this time I'm ah doin' hit by thunder!

I've been looking at Granberg mills, but having zero experience I'm unsure how to proceed. I don't plan to do a huge amount of milling and probably not over 32" wood.

So I turn to the best people I know for advice. What say ye? Best 'bang for the buck,' tips and tricks and so on.

Thanks for your wise advice!

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Figure on loosing about 4-6” of bar length when mounting a mill on it. The new Grandbergs with the billet end pieces are nice! You can’t go wrong with them. Customer Service replaced one of those for me at no charge (the older cast style were prone to break from a bad casting run).
    It would be nice to have a winch. If you can’t get one side of the log elevated, it would ease progress on long cuts. I personally do not use ripping chain. I use full chisel full skip on my 42” bar and I’ve milled with full chisel full comp on my 28”. If you’re going for the best possible smooth finish, maybe semichisel would be a good choice. I want the fastest possible cut speed.
    Another thing to consider is first cut guides. Granberg sells rails:
    upload_2022-11-12_9-46-10.jpeg

There are alternatives.
    upload_2022-11-12_9-45-42.jpeg
    I use mostly 2X’s, but I have used an old ladder.
    upload_2022-11-12_9-45-26.jpeg
    First cut is like laying the foundation for a house. If it’s not straight, rest of the slabs will be wonky.

So I’d just pick the width you’d need and order it. I searched online and found the best price, got a 48”. Add accessories if you so choose. W/ a 394, I didn’t need auxiliary bar oil, so no need for me. If you are using a saw with a stingy oil pump, maybe consider that.

Rope, JB Sawman, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  3. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Sooooo... The guide rails, 2x4 or ladder, must be leveled on the log in order for the first cut to be straight?

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes. I typically use a 2x6 or 2x8 screwed to the log. Measure each end from the log center up and have your board the same measurements so you cut through straight. If you have to, shim the center or ends to keep the weight of the rig from sagging anywhere.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Also, make double sure to adjust the mill for the first cut to go below whatever length screws you use! Been there, done that.. more than once. :doh::hair: This scenario is what taught me to use the progressive raker/depth gauge plates. I had a chain where one full side was very short and the other was almost full.

6. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

If you are only planning to mill a small amount, granberg is the way to go if you ask me. It is slower, but very satisfying. I also suggest a MS660 plus sized saw. I tried the 461 and it worked, but it was a slow go. You can always buy a small portable mill depending on your needs and finances. I ended up with the woodland 130 max as I hope to mill a ton. Good luck.

7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Most likely will get the 24" Granberg and use my 661 with a rippin chain. I don't plan to do a lot of milling. But... I was talking to a guy a couple of days ago and he said he began milling with an Alaskan mill and 3 years later he has $20K in a towable mill system! Who knows?

8. Sawdust Man

Sawdust Man

Chainsaw mills are pretty dandy things to have around..... I've actually been thinking of getting one to break down oversized logs into cants, so they can fit on the Woodmizer.
    I used to free hand rip old growth west coast wood to get em on the mill, but an Alaskan mill would be easier, and do a little better job too.

9. Eckie

Eckie

Ralphie Boy, since you mentioned the possibility of 32" in your first post...not sure if the 24" is a typo? Especially since you'll lose quite a bit of usable length with the way the mill attaches to the bar.

Woodsnwoods and eatonpcat like this.