In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Metal detectors

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by justdraftn, May 25, 2019.

1. justdraftn

justdraftn

Anyone use metal detectors before milling their wood?
    As I pull more and more of the old oak, I think it would
    behoove me to start doing that. A good visual is one thing but
    I found one that the nail was rusted and broken off. What was
    left was below the surface. I found it by probing w/a thin file.
    Looking at something like this:

Thoughts/suggestions

2. trail twister

trail twister

I have a full fledged Fisher 22 metal detctor. I haven't found the grab hook I have been looking for with it in a year. But I have founf a single broken chain link, a valve for an engine, lots of old fence wire bits and shot gun shell brass and brass for rifles with.

ref=sr_1_3

Garrnet also makes good ones. I wouldn't put much trust in a stud finder or a pinpointer unless you found metal with a full fledged dectore first and needed to pin down the spot.

:D Al

3. Not_chip

Not_chip

read the title, and instantly thought of a chainsaw chain, always sucks to find that hidden screw or piece of fence wire

Mag Craft likes this.
  4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I use the metal detector from MDI the handheld one it was expensive @1400.00 but all my logs come from tree services and it has paid for itself in blades alone not counting the lost time of changing blades I do commercial sawing with my mill and the bi metal blades I use are 47.00 each a good metal strike and they are junk my detector is able to pick up a 6 penny nail 15 inches into a log and it has proven itself !! I know other millers who use other brands and they work real well just wont go as deep into the log good luck JB

Reddingnative likes this.